Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot find server

When ever I start imove it gives a message that "There was a problem connecting to the server xxxxxx.local" and i can not stop it happening. The message comes up every 20 seconds or so if I clear it. I have deleted the preferences of imovie, recent items and login, all of which makes no difference at all. I am beginning to give up hope

Stephen

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:03 AM

11 replies

Mar 11, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

The computer is connected to my home wifi network

There are no external devices attached directly to the comupter, although there are other computer on the next work and a TIme Machine for back-up.

I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 at the moment.

This happens when I use imovie on its own or with other programmes at the same time.

Stephen

Mar 12, 2013 5:45 AM in response to stephenfromdagenaham

I think that I have found it. Here is the fix posted by another:

"I had this problem and I have fixed it.

I don't know specifically which part of this worked as I did all this in one fell swoop... perhaps try one at a time if you want:

1. Move com.apple.iMovieApp.plist to your desktop (find it in your user preferences folder, inside your user library folder)
  2. Move com.apple.iApp.plist to your desktop (from same location as above)
  3. Empty everything from your caches folder (also in your user library folder)
  4. Move everything from your user "Movies" folder to your desktop
  5. Try iMovie now"

Happy now!

Mar 12, 2013 6:12 AM in response to stephenfromdagenaham

Hi Stephen,

In point 4 of the fix it states "Move everything from your user "Movies" folder to your desktop".

For the benefit of others here it should be mentioned that iMovie can only find iMovie Projects if they are located as follows:

• On the internal drive, Events must be located in the User's Home folder "Movies/iMovie Events"
  • On the internal drive, Projects must be located in the User's Home folder "Movies/iMovie Projects"
  • On an external drive, Events and Projects must be located at the top level in the folders "iMovie Events" and "iMovie Projects" respectively

So, if Events and/or Projects are moved elsewhere, iMovie will not be able to see them and they will need to be moved back to their original location.

But of course you would know this as you mention that you are "Happy now", so I guess iMovie is now working properly and you can see all of your Events and Projects. 🙂

Hope you don't mind, but just thought I should explain all this in case others have trouble with iMovie locating things!

John

cannot find server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.