Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover Safari bookmarks?

I accidently deleted my bookmarks from safari on my macbook. About 400 of them. 😟

I was trying to delete my history, i didn't notice that i was on the bookmarks folder and i pressed select all and delete. I had a little panic reaction when i noticed i deleted my bookmarks so i quit safari (cmd+q) so that it doesn't have time to sync to icloud and checked my ipad so i could recover the bookmarks, but they were gone from my ipad too. I do not have a time machine backup but i do however have icloud set up on all my devices. Sadly, because of icloud those bookmarks got deleted from my ipad too. I have been pulling my hair and searching for a solution online for hours. I haven't found any that worked. Please help me, i have been bookmarking stuff for years and it hurts to think that they don't exist anymore, also some of it was important college related stuff. 😐

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 9:17 PM

I have this same problem now.

Searching the web for help, but it doesn't look good.

I am absolutely STUNNED that Apple wouldn't create a simple fail-safe, for something so incredibly important as bookmarks! Absolutely STUNNED.

All they'd have to do is keep a small back-up cache, updated say once every minute, and holding the last 10 minutes of plists. Them, if a user makes a horrible mistake, restorarion could be one click away.

So simple, and yet this doesn't exist. - But hey, look at our shiny new iPad 17 !!!!!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2014 9:17 PM in response to SinhaAll

I have this same problem now.

Searching the web for help, but it doesn't look good.

I am absolutely STUNNED that Apple wouldn't create a simple fail-safe, for something so incredibly important as bookmarks! Absolutely STUNNED.

All they'd have to do is keep a small back-up cache, updated say once every minute, and holding the last 10 minutes of plists. Them, if a user makes a horrible mistake, restorarion could be one click away.

So simple, and yet this doesn't exist. - But hey, look at our shiny new iPad 17 !!!!!

Mar 11, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Manav Dawar

Unfortunately, if you didn't have any backups, that data is probably gone for good. File recovery software probably won't help, though it can't hurt to try. It's possible that Safari created a new Bookmarks.plist file in a temporary folder, wrote the changes to it, then deleted the old one and replaced it with the new one. (I'm not sure whether it would use that technique internally, or would just open the file, write the changes to it and then close it again.) If it does work that way, the old one may still be present and not overwritten. I wouldn't say that's likely, though. Try it with Data Rescue and see what you get.

This should be your cue to start backing up ASAP, before you lose something more important!

Mar 11, 2013 3:44 PM in response to andyBall_uk

I can't quickly find a mac version of something similar, but if you've access to Windows, and haven't yet deleted history as you intended... http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/safari_history_view.html allows sorting by visit count, which might cover at least your most-used bookmarks, they can then be imported back into Safari (I tried it here using winebottler, worked ok)

Oct 12, 2013 12:31 PM in response to robmaci

When in the world is Apple going to start making bookmarks savable to the cloud so that we never have to lose them?

Umm... how about a number of years ago? That's been possible since the MobileMe days, if I recall correctly. It's certainly been a part of iCloud since it began.

Of course, there's nothing about cloud storage that guarantees the safety of your data. If you're not backing up data independently, you could still lose it all, due to the syncing involved in any cloud storage system.

Note that I've been using Macs for longer than there have been web browsers, and have thus experienced the entire history of web browsing on the Mac. I have never once lost bookmarks. If you have been having a constant problem with losing bookmarks for a long time, you must be doing something wrong... such as deleting the wrong thing accidentally, as mentioned in this discussion.

Oct 18, 2013 9:47 PM in response to Manav Dawar

I had the same problem. Sent a bunch of my pics to the trash can never to be seen again. I used a program called Data Recovery for Mac to restore them...only thing is you'll need a PC. Plug your iPhone into your USB drive and it will appear on the left of the program...a bunch 'deleted' files will appear on the right. Restore the ones you want from there.

Apr 21, 2014 2:33 AM in response to Cableaddict

They do. It's called Time Machine. It protects everything on your computer by backing it up.

If you are not backing up your computer, you have only yourself to blame. Without backups, data loss is an eventual certainty.

How to recover Safari bookmarks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.