Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating postfix settings on ML Server

I'm setting up a new server running OS X 10.8.2 server to replace an existing server on OS X 10.4 that's coming to the end of its life. I need to set various postfix settings but it seems that not all the options are known to serveradmin settings. For example if I enter

sudo serveradmin settings mail;postfix:sender_bcc_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc

the system just responds

mail:postfix:= _empty_dictionary

I know that serveradmin works for the options shown by

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix,

so how do I add options (such as sender_bcc_maps) that aren't in the default list? Can I just add them to /etc/postfix/main.cf before the config_directory directive?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), with server

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:09 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2013 4:54 AM in response to Richard Williams2

Mail can certainly change some of your custom setting. Its bettert in 10.8, but it can still happen if one of you hand-entered settings relates to an adjustment you make in the Server app.

The server app has only a few settings, and you are obviously someone comfy with editing config files- So once the initial mail settings are made in the Server app, always make changes by hand editing files so you sure.

If you make changes with the app.. I like to dupicate the Mail/Config folder before making the change then do a diff between the folders to see what Server app actually changed. Allows you to roll-back that way if needed also.

Updating postfix settings on ML Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.