Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone will not tether to macbook pro over USB or bluetooth

Having issues getting the iphone to tether to my macbook pro (RUnning OSX 10.6.8) iTunes version 11.0.2.

I can tether using wireless, but can not tether to MB Pro using USB (prefered) or Bluetooth. Bluetooth looks like it connects .. but can not use network.

I know it is not my iphone because all 3 tethering modes wireless/BT/USB work on my windows laptop.

I have run disk utility to repair the filesystem / file permissions if needed.

Just totally stumped on how to diagnose this further. I do see these in the messages log

13-03-11 11:45:34 AMcom.apple.usbmuxd[42]USBDeviceOpen failed: 0xe00002c5

iTunes can see and sync with the iphone over USB .. so no problem there.

iphone iOS 6.1.2

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 8GB / 2.66MHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:16 AM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2013 7:37 AM in response to sbeaton

iPhone is saying now it is tethered via bluetooth, and the Mac says connected. But no IP address is assigned .. hence no network access.

I am getting this error in my messages (hopefully someone knows a solution) I would rebuild the OS.. but I dont have the time right now to try that.

Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernetHost (error 0xdc008016)

Mar 14, 2013 8:55 AM in response to sbeaton

Solved my problem .. I believe I had an application (Checkpoint VPN Client) that I think was causing my macbook to come up in 32bit mode .. I forced 64bit by holding down the 6 & 4 keys while powering on .. and my tethering now works and my VPN client is now broken (which I dont care about anyway) .. uninstalled the VPN client and hopefully thngs are good again

iphone will not tether to macbook pro over USB or bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.