Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am presently in Dubai n I want to buy apps from Apple US store and I keep receiving my account is not valid for use in US store, can someone explain why?

I am presently in Dubai UAE n I want to buy apps from apple U.S. store, and I keep receiving " your account is not valid for use in U.S. store" can someone explain why?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:56 AM

11 replies

Mar 12, 2013 3:19 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for the reply Demo. I ve just renewed my annual subscription to an online journal based in San Francisco using my cc with no problem. now, is this problem particular to apple store only, because even when I want to install free applications on my iPad I still get the same message which has no sense to me, could the problem be with the origin address of the account? Does this mean that if your account address is not U.S. you cannot get free apps from U.S. store? It is a bit unreasonable.

Mar 12, 2013 3:47 AM in response to Na2709

Demo is right if you want to buy a paid app in the US app store you must have a cc registered on a particular address in the US.

I myself reside in India and have an account on the US app store, I haven't uploaded any cc info but my uncle stays in US, so I uploaded his shipping address. In order to make free app purchases from the US app store you need not have a US credit card but you need to have a US address atleast.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Shridhar Sukhani.

Mar 12, 2013 3:45 AM in response to Na2709

I have been trying to search for the full legalese that explains this but I haven't been able to find it yet. The bottom line is that your credit card must be registered to an address in the country in which you want to purchase the content.

If you want to call it an "Apple thing" you can, but the reason that Apple does this is because not all content is legally available in every country in the world so if a person is trying to circumvent that legality by purchasing from another country, this "Apple thing" might prevent one from doing that. Apple may not be licensed to sell music in all countries, or certain apps (for instance FaceTime in Dubai) in all countries - whether it has to do with the vendors' licensing and copyright restrictions - or government restrictions.

And yes, even free apps would come under these terms. Apps like Pandora Radio and Netfilx are only available in certain countries - IIRC. Using your credit card to purchase an online subscription is based on whatever the terms are for that particular vendor.

Mar 12, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Na2709

Na2709 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Varjak; but, I don't think you need to be physically present in the U.S. to make an online purchasing from online American stores, it just does not make sense with the whole concept of online purchasing.

Regards.

Sorry, but you are wrong. When you are talking about the iTunes Store you absolutely do. From the terms of use of the US iTunes Store (emphasis mine):

The iTunes Service is available to you only in the United States, its territories, and possessions. You agree not to use or attempt to use the iTunes Service from outside these locations. Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance.

All iTunes Stores have similar terms restricting use to those within the relevant country.

So again, you cannot use any iTunes Store other than that of the UAE unless you travel to another country.

Regards.

I am presently in Dubai n I want to buy apps from Apple US store and I keep receiving my account is not valid for use in US store, can someone explain why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.