Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD Rental but no purchase available?

I was going through some old DVDs this weekend, and my daughter's favorite movie from when she was younger, Lilo and Stich, was there. She saw it and off to the TV she ran...

Not there. (since it was a DVD, but she is so conditioned to just hop on the TV now 🙂).

I saw that HD was available to rent, but not buy. However, SD is available for rent and purchase.

Anyone know why this is? I know content providers split hairs, but this is silly.

I do wish we had the "iTunes Plus" equivalent with Movies. I will no longer pay for an SD movie because it will, inevitably, come out in HD later.

I guess I have to wait until Lilo and Stich is re-released on Bluray for iTunes to get the HD version for purchase, huh?

AppleTV 2, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:26 AM

1 reply

Mar 11, 2013 9:38 AM in response to iSRS

Such restrictions are placed by the content owner, in this case Disney. Why they have such a limitation none of us here will know, though my guess is that they want to build up anticipation for when they release a Blu-Ray version and get you to spend more money with them. And yes, it's silly to us, but the media industry is largely completely silly (to avoid using a stronger word) when it comes to digital distribution.

Regards.

HD Rental but no purchase available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.