Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make an applescript ping a website?

I have an applescript that I'm distibuting to very many people. Not very many people are updating to the newest versions, which I need them to. I want to remind them or notify them that the new update is out. What I want to do is have my script "ping" a website, so that if its online, it'll give people a message saying that a new update is out. It's important that it only gives a user this message once. Is this possible? And if so, how might I do it?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:57 PM

3 replies

Mar 11, 2013 8:04 PM in response to Apple_For_The_Win

Pinging is the wrong way to go about this. First if a mailing list is a nightmare how is pinging the same number of system any less of a nightmare.

Second how do you plan on sending the message, ping has nothing to do with message sending and pinging a machine will tell you nothing about if any users are currently using the machine.

Finally a large number of users have connections that will not allow you to ping them for varied reasons.

No legitimate software developer would do update reminders in this manner. If a user gets your software and doesn;t want to receive emails from you then they most likely will not want to have you pinging their system.

Sorry but you need to find another way to do this.

regards

How can I make an applescript ping a website?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.