Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina freezes with checkerboard on startup

Hi I have the 2.3 Ghz i7 Macbook Pro 15" retina with 16GB of ram running OSX 10.8.2

The machine was purchased in November 2012

Over the past couple of weeks I have a problem with a coloured checkerboard pattern freezing on the screen during startup (see attached photo). This happens 4 or 5 times in a row and after powering off each time the machine will eventually start normally and function fine.

The problem seems to happen if the machine both sleeps or is completley shut down.

I tried first of all turning off the power nap option and setting the graphics card to always use high performace mode. This did not help so I did a reset of power managment and PRAM.

The problem was still happening (although not ever boot, perhaps every 3rd or 4th attempt). I ended up doing a full internet recovery of OSX using disk utility to repartition the harddrive prior to the reinstall.

Sadly the problem still exists.

I tried ringing Apple but I just got some guy who sounded like he was abroad saying I must purchase Apple Care to talk with support.

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB Ram

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:32 PM

4 replies

Mar 13, 2013 12:26 AM in response to happy-tribe

Just an update on this issue. I tried Apple tech support this time and got a much more helpful person. We went through doing a hardware test and it came back with an error on the SSD drive. Although he said the issue sounded more like something to do with with graphics card. Either way I got a case number and was advised to take the computer under warrenty to an Apple store. I will update here on the outcome.

The hardware error I am getting is: Error: 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)

I have the 256GB SSD drive

Also here is a better quality photo of the checkerboard pattern and also one of the hardware test.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 13, 2013 12:35 AM in response to happy-tribe

It's odd that you were brushed off so quickly in your first conversation - I'm assuming that you were beyond your 90 days of phone support and that you haven't purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan which extends phone support to three years (please, buy it soon! You never know what sort of issues you may have two years down the road).

But you finally reached a sypmathic ear and were told what you probably would have been advised on this board anyway - get your machine into your local Apple Store or an AASP straight-away.

Let us know how things work out...

Clinton

Mar 13, 2013 12:45 AM in response to happy-tribe

Since Apple first started offering an extended warranty on products, I have always purchased it. With some machines, I've had no problems; with others, I was delighted that I had AppleCare.

And for the Retina-diplay models, I think that AppleCare is a must. First-generation technology, etc. Yes, do purchase it before your one-year warranty has expired. You won't regret it.

Just my 2¢...

Clinton

MacBook Pro 15" Retina freezes with checkerboard on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.