Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jumpy erratic cursor/arrow - Moves & Selects without touching

I have a jumpy erratic curso that moves and selects without me touching the trackpad at all. It's driving me crazy. It makes it practically impossible to use my macbook. The trackpad is clean. I'm literally not touching it when the arrow moves around and selects things. When I try to move the arrow/cursor, it either moves jumpily or selects anything it passes over. Help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:06 PM

124 replies

Jan 27, 2017 12:48 PM in response to Esor Asil

One other thing to consider is to make sure nothing else is touching your magic trackpad, especially the Lightning cable that's used to occasionally charge it (or some may keep it permanently connected). I had a jumpy cursor suddenly and I couldn't figure out what it was until I noticed that part of the cord was very slightly touching the upper corner of the trackpad. Once I moved it out of the way, suddenly the cursor was behaving normally again. Just something else to consider for folks.

Jul 11, 2017 6:12 PM in response to Esor Asil

Old question I know, but have had and solved this problem -- in two separate situations.

If you've had your Macbook for quite a while, open the case and check to see if the battery might be swelling due to age. If the battery isn't perfectly flat, this could be a cause of the problem.

A swollen battery can put pressure from the underside of the trackpad and cause the cursor to behave oddly or poorly.

In my case, replacing the battery fixed the problem.

Mar 19, 2013 7:01 AM in response to Esor Asil

I have the same problem. It occured right after I updated Snow Leopard with the 2013 Security update. Everything was fine prior and now my macbook is useless while connected to a monitor and using magic track pad. When disconnected from monitor and not using the magic trackpad, the macbook built in trackpad seems to be fine on its own. But the update definitly broke my magic trackpad. Help!

Mar 25, 2013 7:28 PM in response to Esor Asil

I'm having the exact same problem after I updated to 10.8.3 (now that I recall, it could be the most recent security update) on my mid 2009 13" MBP. It's crazy! I first thought someone hijacked my Mac with Back to my Mac or Teamviewer or some other remote accessing.

I ggogled around but to no avail.

It's completely useless now after it starts acting up... Restarting, clearing PRAM nothing works. 😟

I have no problem with my 2012 11" MBA...

Mar 28, 2013 6:13 AM in response to hazaryildirim

So far I have discovered that there are no fixes for the trackpad. I did however change the settings in accessibility where I checked the box to disable the trackpad when an external mouse is present. With this setting and an external mouse, the trackpad no longer works but I can once again use my MacBook. I am therefore assuming that the trackpad is kaput and I need a hardware change. Will confirm once I have an opportunity to bring it in to a store.

Jumpy erratic cursor/arrow - Moves & Selects without touching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.