Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do i do if i have forgotten my iphone back up password and need to restore my phone?

i need to restore my current phone and can back it up fine.

i just forgot the password and am wondering if there is a way to find out what it is?

iPhone 4

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 11:27 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 5:48 PM in response to maddylaugesen

Just found a work-around for this issue!

I was upgrading my software and it failed, which required me to restore my phone. No big deal since I had just backed-up my iPhone to iTunes prior to the failed upgrade. WRONG...I had also forgotten that I encrypted my iTunes back-up and I didn't remember the password.

My Solution: I restored it to a very old iCloud back-up. All you need for this is your Apple ID. From there I entered iTunes and restored to the encrypted iTunes back-up. It did NOT prompt me for the encryption password.

If you have a non-encrypted back-up, restore to that. Then restore to your encrypted back-up from itunes.

what do i do if i have forgotten my iphone back up password and need to restore my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.