Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring

Hi - I wonder if you can help? When connecting my ipad to my computer it asked me if I wanted to 'update' to which I said yes. It then seemed to wipe everything as if it were a brand new ipad. My computer then asks me if I want to 'restore' & i said yes but it keeps telling me that the password I have entered to unlock your ipad backup was incorrect. I have gone onto the apple site and reset my password but it still wont work? Is there a different password specifically for the backup? Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? Many thanks. Susie

iPad

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 3:57 AM

Yes that is a totally different password than your Apple ID password. At some point, you - or someone else that created a backup for you - encrypted the backup and used a password to do so. Unless you know the password for that backup, you will not be able to restore form it. You will, unfortunately, have to set up the iPad as new and then download or sync all of you content back onto the device and then create a new non-encrypted backup.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2013 3:57 AM in response to SusieOG

Yes that is a totally different password than your Apple ID password. At some point, you - or someone else that created a backup for you - encrypted the backup and used a password to do so. Unless you know the password for that backup, you will not be able to restore form it. You will, unfortunately, have to set up the iPad as new and then download or sync all of you content back onto the device and then create a new non-encrypted backup.

User uploaded file

Restoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.