Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to verify account name or password - Gmail

Hi guys, I struggle to configure my gmail account in 'System Preferences'.

In System Preferences I click on Mail, Contacts & Calendar, then on Gmail, type my name, gmail email address and gmail password and once I click on Set Up "Unable to verify account name or password" message appears on the bottom of the password window.

My account is second admin account in the system.

I configured my wife's gmail account in the same manner on her account on this computer and everything went fine.

Would anyone have a guess how to address this issue?

Cheers!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:42 AM

Ok, I solved the problem. Just realized that I have all the security activated on my gmail account.

If you have similar issues with setting up you Gmail account on Mac you need to do the following in your gmail account setings:

1. In your gmail account go to Settings (cog wheel in the top right)

2. Go to Accounts and Imports tab

User uploaded file

3. Go to Change account settings --> Other Google Account settings

4. Click on Security

User uploaded file

5. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on 'Manage access':

User uploaded file

6. Verify your password

7. In the field provided enter the name of your device (could be anything it's just for your information to know which of your devices are given full access to the gmail account)

8. Click on "Generate password"

9. Password will appear in the yellow field

User uploaded file

10. Copy this password and paste it in the password field in your Mail, Contacts & Calendar in System Preferences.

11. This is one off password only used to grant an access to your gmail account by your device.

12. You need to use your standard gmail password from now on.

You're done and your gmail email is downloaded to Mac Mail!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2013 4:42 AM in response to Janek75

Ok, I solved the problem. Just realized that I have all the security activated on my gmail account.

If you have similar issues with setting up you Gmail account on Mac you need to do the following in your gmail account setings:

1. In your gmail account go to Settings (cog wheel in the top right)

2. Go to Accounts and Imports tab

User uploaded file

3. Go to Change account settings --> Other Google Account settings

4. Click on Security

User uploaded file

5. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on 'Manage access':

User uploaded file

6. Verify your password

7. In the field provided enter the name of your device (could be anything it's just for your information to know which of your devices are given full access to the gmail account)

8. Click on "Generate password"

9. Password will appear in the yellow field

User uploaded file

10. Copy this password and paste it in the password field in your Mail, Contacts & Calendar in System Preferences.

11. This is one off password only used to grant an access to your gmail account by your device.

12. You need to use your standard gmail password from now on.

You're done and your gmail email is downloaded to Mac Mail!

Unable to verify account name or password - Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.