Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extract characters or digits from cell content

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how I can grab a part of a cell content. Example: The cell has the content "1.22.333".

Now, I need to just grab the last part of that (and sometimes also the middle part). I tried to use the FIND and RIGHT function but the problem is that they need the amount of digits which can be different (1.2.3 or 1.22.333).

How can I grab/calculate just the "1" or "22" or "333" from that?

p.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 2 GHz Core 2 Duo 1TB + 256 GB SSD

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:10 AM

There is more than one way to get what you want. Here is one:

Your 111.222.333 numbers are in column A

You will use four columns (B-E) to separate them.

B =LEFT(A,FIND(".",A)-1)

C =RIGHT(A,LEN(A)-FIND(".",A))

D =LEFT(C,FIND(".",C)-1)

E =RIGHT(C,LEN(C)-FIND(".",C))

B is the 1's

D is the 2's

E is the 3's

Hide column C

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2013 9:10 AM in response to papalapapp

There is more than one way to get what you want. Here is one:

Your 111.222.333 numbers are in column A

You will use four columns (B-E) to separate them.

B =LEFT(A,FIND(".",A)-1)

C =RIGHT(A,LEN(A)-FIND(".",A))

D =LEFT(C,FIND(".",C)-1)

E =RIGHT(C,LEN(C)-FIND(".",C))

B is the 1's

D is the 2's

E is the 3's

Hide column C

Nov 3, 2017 6:01 PM in response to kamehamehan

Hi K'

Here are two formulas that will do the job with strings following the same pattern as your example.

User uploaded file

C2: MID(B2,2,LEN(B2)−2)

C3: SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,"<",""),">","")

The first, using MID, removes the first and last characters from the string, with no attention paid to what characters these are.

The second uses nested supstitutions to replace the specific characters "<" and ">" with null strings ( "" ), effectively deleting htes character from the string, without regard to their positions.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 12, 2013 7:34 AM in response to papalapapp

Hi papa,

Here is a workaround, but it involves a word processor such as Pages or Word.

Copy your cells and paste into a blank word processor document.

In Pages, go to:

Menu > Edit > Find > Find...

Click on the Advanced button.

Type a full stop ('period' in AmericanSpeak) in the Find box.

In the Replace box, use the 'Insert' Pop-up menu to insert a Tab.

Replace All.

User uploaded file

Copy and paste into blank cells in Numbers:

User uploaded file

How can I grab/calculate just the "1" or "22" or "333" from that?

Grab what you want!

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 12, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Yellow, thanks for that. I didn't know that I could actually put a tab as a replacement item wich is pretty cool. Unfortunately for my current task I need to stay within Numbers because I work with lists of IDs which I have to process (they are keys for categories).

Jerrold, I have been trying around with LEN but I can't find out how to get the numbers to the right of the first ".".

Mar 12, 2013 9:30 AM in response to papalapapp

papalapapp wrote:

Hi Yellow, thanks for that. I didn't know that I could actually put a tab as a replacement item wich is pretty cool. Unfortunately for my current task I need to stay within Numbers because I work with lists of IDs which I have to process (they are keys for categories).

Jerrold, I have been trying around with LEN but I can't find out how to get the numbers to the right of the first ".".

It's a bit of a pain. I find that I can get there faster if I use some auxiliary columns so the individual expressions don't get so long. Here's an example:

User uploaded file

The formulas are as follows:

First Period Position:

=FIND(".", A, 1)

First SubString:

=LEFT(A, FIND(".", A, 1)-1)

Second Period Position:

=FIND(".", A, FIND(".", A, 1)+1)

Middle SubString:

=MID(A, B+1, D-B-1)

Third SubString:

=RIGHT(A, LEN(A)-D)

Regards,

Jerry

Mar 13, 2013 2:03 AM in response to papalapapp

As Badunit says (and Ian and Jerry demonstrate), there's often more than one way to get what you want.

Here's one more, using no auxiliary columns:

User uploaded file

B2: =LEFT(A,FIND(".",A)-1)

C2: =MID(A,FIND(".",A)+1,FIND(".",A,(FIND(".",A)+1))-FIND(".",A)-1)

D2: =RIGHT(A,LEN(A)-FIND(".",A,(FIND(".",A)+1)))

Interesting exercise. as can be seen in the last row, this solution also works with words (as do the others—they all treat what's in the source column as a text string; the actual contents of that string, except for the two periods, doesn't matter.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 7, 2013 7:35 PM in response to gestyle

And of course life is simpler if your data happens to be uniform length and format. In that happy case, you can just do:

=MID(B3,6,2), displaying Text, with the leading zero.

=MONTH(B3) can work too, displaying Number without the leading zero (unless you format it as Numeral System Base 10 Places 2, a trick learned from Jerry)

SG

Dec 8, 2013 4:57 AM in response to Badunit

Hey Badunit,

Thank you for your answer! Now it works!

I’d just like to mention one thing I encountered inbetween. I think it’s due to the fact I use OSX in German and started NUMBERS in English via an app called Language Switcher.

First, my formula looked like that:User uploaded file

I tried to compare my line (the upper one) with yours (the one beneath), but both of them brought the same syntax error message:
User uploaded file
I thought the error would come from the hyphens (minus dashes) but at the end, it was due to the comma. Replacing the commas by semicolons fixes the issue and now returns the correct value:User uploaded file

Cool 🙂

How to extract characters or digits from cell content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.