Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Aperture Library Managed to Time Capsule

Hi All,

I have a quick question, I want to move my library from my Mac to my time capsule disk because my new mac has a small SSD drive...

I use the TC as a network drive rather than an actual time capsule, I dont use the back up feature.

I believe my library is managed (anyone know how to check this?)

Is it just a matter of literally moving the aperture library icon (little purple flower from the pictures folder) to the external TC disk and then opening the library from the new install of Aperture on my new mac?

If so does my library then become instantly a referenced library?

PS how can I copy settings/preferences over?

Thanks alot!!!

Regards

John

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:00 AM

Aperture requires the library to be on a locally mounted volume. See Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Placing the library on the Time Capsule will most likely at some point cause problems.

To address your other questions:

To move a library you can simply drag it using the Finder as you would any file/folder. If the originals are managed in the library that is all that needs to be done, the originals will remain managed.

If the originals are referenced you should relocate those first using Aperture's File->Relocate original command and then move the library.

But again you do not want to put the library on a network volume.

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2013 6:00 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

Aperture requires the library to be on a locally mounted volume. See Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Placing the library on the Time Capsule will most likely at some point cause problems.

To address your other questions:

To move a library you can simply drag it using the Finder as you would any file/folder. If the originals are managed in the library that is all that needs to be done, the originals will remain managed.

If the originals are referenced you should relocate those first using Aperture's File->Relocate original command and then move the library.

But again you do not want to put the library on a network volume.

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Mar 12, 2013 5:58 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

John,

to move your library to a different drive you need to do two things:

• Drag the library (in the Finder) to the new drive to copy it to that location.
  • Double click it to launch Aperture on the copied Library and select all images in the Browser (best in the "Photos" view). Then use the command "File > Consolidate". This will move all referenced original image files into the copied library.

But there will be a complication, if you want to use your TimeCapsule as external drive with your library, see this Apple Support article:

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Your Aperture library needs to be on a volume formatted MacOS X Extended. Aperture 3.4 will refuse to recognize the library, if it is on a volume with a different formatting. Afaik, a TimeCapsule has a different formatting. You could connect an external drive with MacOS X Extended formatting to the TimeCapsule, however, or put a writable disk image onto the TimeCapsule and store the Aperture Library there.

The second problem will be the network access. This will slow down Aperture, and you may risk data loss, as stated in the above support article.

It would be easier and faster to use a directly connected external disk to store your library.

Also, it is strongly recommended that the Aperture library be stored on a locally mounted hard drive. Storing the Aperture library on a network share can also lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 12, 2013 6:25 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

It seems like you intend to go ahead with putting the library on the TC. That is your right just bear in mind what was discussed here.

If you do do this I strongly recommend you make a duplicate copy of the library and if the primary starts to have troubles running off the TC copy the duplicate to a non-network drive and work from there.

good luck

regards

Moving Aperture Library Managed to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.