Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup copied to Time Capsule

I have a LaCie 2TB USB3.0 external Hard Drive (Hard Disk) which is used as Time Machine connected by USB2.0.

I recently purchased an Apple Time Capsule would like to use this as my Time Machine backup. However like to transfer all my previous Time Machine backup data onto the Time Capsule.

Is this possible as I am concerned the files on Time Machine are "Backups.backupdb" when directly connected by USB.

Whilst with wireless Time Machine files are ".Sparsebundle" which creates a new backup set of files without access to preivous backups.

So it is possible to copy from LaCie (time machine) to Time Capsule for use ?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 7:56 AM

1 reply

Mar 12, 2013 1:50 PM in response to tazdotcom

Indeed the backup is stored differently in the TC (network disk) cf local disk. So you need to be very tricksy to make it work.

I would recommend a new backup.. do the first one via ethernet. Do not copy backups over wireless anyway.

Keep the Lacie disk for a few months until you determine there is nothing you require.

http://pondini.org/TM/18.html

look at how to copy local backups to network.. and then IMHO, don't do it.

Time Machine backup copied to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.