Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Mac OS X 10.5.8. I use Photoshop Cs4 a lot as well as Appleworks 6 - will either of these no longer run if I do the upgrade? I saw a lot of issues using Photoshop Cs4 in 2009 but I don't know if that issue has been fixed recently. Main reason for considering upgrade is I got a wacom tablet and realized my computer is the very base requirements for the tablet drivers and I can't use the software bundle unless I have at least OS X 10.6.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:49 AM

I can't tell you what to do, that is your decision. Upgrading to Snow Leopard, however, should not introduce many changes to your system except that you may have issues with Appleworks especially if it is not the universal version.

10 replies

Mar 12, 2013 9:50 AM in response to roguejedi

Snow Leopard still includes a PowerPC code interpreter (Rosetta) so AppleWorks 6 and similarly aged programs will still work.

Purchase it here:

Apple's price is $19.99, £14.00, €18.

Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" System Requirements

To install Snow Leopard for the first time, you must have a Mac with:

• An Intel processor
  • An internal or external DVD drive, or DVD or CD Sharing
  • At least 1 GB of memory (RAM) (additional RAM is recommended)
  • A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
  • At least 5 GB of disk space available, or 7 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

Mar 12, 2013 11:10 AM in response to roguejedi

roguejedi wrote:

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

1. For the same $19.99 + sales tax & shipping, you can order Snow Leopard Server from the Apple Store at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only; currently only USA & Canada)

Why get SLS now? If you ever upgrade to a Mac that will only boot Lion or Mt. Lion, you can easily install SLS into Parallels or VMWare Fusion (and maybe VirtualBox) and continue to run PowerPC applications concurrently with Lion or Mt. Lion:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

2. Start studying Roger Wilmut's excellent series of articles, Abandoning Appleworks

Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.