Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding roadrunner account to mail

HI

Due a corrupted user account (during Mountain upgrade) I've created a new user account on my Mac Pro.

Mail (iCloud) is working properly - but I'm unable to add my time warner roadrunner email account to my mac mail.

In Mail preferences - I click add account - it asks for my email address and password

I enter the info and continue to get the eror message:

"logging in to the nyc.rr.com POP server failed, make sure user name and pasword are correct, then clcik continue...."

There really isn't a "user name" field in the "add account" window

It asks for

"full name"

"email address"

"password"

my roadrunner email address and password is correct - but I keep getting the error message

I can't try to tweak any server settings because I can't get that far

(fyi - my roadrunner mail account works in my old user and on my laptop)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:55 AM

15 replies

Mar 12, 2013 9:59 AM in response to jlcnyc0

These are the correct settings for RR mail:

When the Mail Setup screen appears, you will need to configure your Email settings:

• Your Name: Enter your name in the Name field.
  • Email Address: Enter your Email address in the Email Address field (i.e.,username@domain.com - the domain appears after the @ symbol in your Email address, such as nyc.rr.com).
  • Incoming Mail Server: Enter your POP Server Name (i.e., your POP Server Name will have the same ending as your Email address, such as pop-server.nyc.rr.com) in the Incoming Mail Server field.
  • Mail Server Type: Select the POP radio button next to Mail Server Type.
  • User Account ID: Enter your Road Runner username in the User Account ID field.
  • Password: Enter your Road Runner password in the Password field.
  • Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: Enter your SMTP Server Name (i.e., your SMTP Server Name will have the same ending as your Email address, such as smtp-server.nyc.rr.com) in the Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server field.

Choose 'Other' as the account type in mail and enter the settings.

Mar 12, 2013 10:33 AM in response to jlcnyc0

jlcnyc0 wrote:

already had them on the phone - pretty useless

guess I'll try agian

The only out-going server setup at this point is "iCloud"

Could that be an issue?

Thanks for all of your help

iCloud does not, and will not transport RR mail, it is not involved with any other mail system bar its own. You must have an RR out-going server.

Mar 12, 2013 10:41 AM in response to jlcnyc0

jlcnyc0 wrote:

I understand iCloud is proprietary

but can I use iCloud as an outgoing server to connect to roadrunner to setup the account?

I do not understand what that means.

If you want to send RoadRunner mail it must be via a RoadRunner smtp server. You add it like any other non-iCloud account and it will appear in Mail (on your Mac) it will not appear in iCloud (at iCloud.com)

iCloud will only transport mail that ends in @mac.com @me.com or @iCloud.com

Stop thinking about iCloud, it has no bearing on your problem.

I understand iCloud is proprietary

As is RoadRunner.

Mar 12, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Csound1

Somehow I FINALLY figured it out.

The key was to power through (keep clicking continue) in the setup process in sys prefs..... even when Roadrunner was rejecting my password.

Editing the server list was aslo key, I don't remember my exact process - I just kept trying stuff until it worked. Thanks for all of your help

adding roadrunner account to mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.