Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto crashes when creating a new slide show

iPhoto immediately crashes, when I try to create a new slide show.

I have already tried to create a completely new library, but happens just the same: I want to create a new slide show (with only some pictures), and then the program crashes and I must kill it via "force quit".

I also de-installed iPhoto and then installed it again. No change at all. The program chrashes when I try to create a new slide show.

Any idea what could help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 11:07 AM

24 replies

Mar 12, 2013 11:35 AM in response to mjkrueger

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Mt. Lion from the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder

User uploaded file

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE 1: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

NOTE 2: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

OT

Mar 13, 2013 1:59 AM in response to Old Toad

I have enough free disk space, I guess. It's a 256 GB disk and I have only used around 60 GB of it.

Note: The photos are not saved on the hard disk, there are on a NAS.

I figured that this might be the problem and exported 50 photos to a folder on my desktop and then imported these photos in iPhoto - in a new "clean" TEST library.

But even when I try to start a slide show from the start screen of iPhoto after the import, it takes 15 minutes to start the slide show.

Mar 13, 2013 9:54 AM in response to mjkrueger

Are you running a "Referenced" library?

User uploaded file

If so and the photos are on the NAS that's probably the cause. Running a Referenced library is definitely not recommended and iPhoto is known to have problem with NAS servers.

Log into another user account on your Mac and see if you can run iPhoto and create a slideshow successfully and easily from there.

Mar 13, 2013 11:07 AM in response to mjkrueger

It looks like there's something in your account that's the culprit. It could be a preference file other than iPhoto's. Here's how to test that:

Trouble Shooting Preferences

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

1 - close all applications.

2 - open your Home/Library folder and Option-drag (copy) the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

3 - select the contents of your Home/Library/Preferences folder and drag them into the Trash bin in the Dock. You will be asked to provide your Admin password.

4 - reboot.

5 - run the application again and determine if the problems is fixed

6 - If the problem is fixed:

A - open the working Home/Library/Preferences folder.

B - Open the Preferences folder on the Desktop, select all of the contents and drag them into the working Home/Library/Preferences folder.

C - When the Copy window pops up check the "Apply to All" check box and then click on the Don't Replace or Skip button.

User uploaded file

D - reboot.

7 - If the problem is NOT fixed, drag the contents of the Preference folder on the Desktop into the Home/Library/Preference folder and replace the entire contents that were created by clicking on Replace.

8 - reboot.

Mar 14, 2013 1:17 PM in response to Old Toad

So, I followed the procedure and it worked fine...iPhoto started a slide show right away!!! The problem was fixed.

I was happy but then I figured that my WiFi was turned off.

And when I open my WiFi connection (also the connection to my NAS as well), the same problem occurs again. It takes a lot of minutes to start a slide show with iPhoto.

When I close my WiFi connection the problem doesn't occur!!??

Should I follow the procedure again by using this time point 7 of your proposed method?

Or maybe it helps when I export the iPhoto library to the NAS?

Mar 14, 2013 1:47 PM in response to mjkrueger

Disconnect the NAS and see does the problem recur?

Or maybe it helps when I export the iPhoto library to the NAS?

That won't help. You can't do it. iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

Mar 15, 2013 8:39 AM in response to mjkrueger

I use iPhoto 11 (9.4.2). Actually I bought the MacBook Pro two weeks ago!

I watched the Activity Monitor and the Console while starting iPhoto and trying to start a slide show then.

The Activity Monitor showed no remarkable activity. The iPhoto column varies between 1 to 3 percent and after 10 seconds it shows that iPhoto is crashing ("not reacting" says it in German).

The Console doesn't show anything suspicious, too. That's what I guess.

That's maybe an interesting message:
15.03.13 16:29:32,384 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[136]: ([0x0-0x6b06b].com.apple.iPhoto[685]) Exited: Terminated: 15

There are also multiple messages like this:

15.03.13 16:29:32,522 WindowServer[76]: Received display connect changed for display 0x4280380

And then two other messages:

15.03.13 16:29:32,478 WindowServer[76]: MPAccessSurfaceForDisplayDevice: Set up page flip mode on display 0x04280380 device: 0x10e81c320 isBackBuffered: 1 numComp: 3 numDisp: 3

15.03.13 16:29:32,494 WindowServer[76]: CGXMuxAcknowledge: Posting glitchless acknowledge

Hopefully that means something!?

iPhoto crashes when creating a new slide show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.