Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard becomes undetectable in 2012 iMac

Hi all,

I purchased a 2012 iMac at the end of December with the 1TB Fusion Drive, and the 2Gb Video Card. It has worked great so far, but I had an issue the other night that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

I had a USB Midi Keyboard plugged into the computer that I was using with Garageband. My girlfriend went and plugged her iPhone 5 into the USB slot on my computer keyboard, and iTunes opened up stating that the iPhone was locked with a passcode. Right after this, my computer keyboard stopped working. I couldn't type or anything, so I closed all of the open apps using the mouse, and rebooted the computer. After the computer rebooted, the keyboard still did not work so I couldn't even type in the login password to get back into OSX. I must've rebooted at least 15 times trying to see if it would detect the keyboard. I did some Google searching, and tried unplugging the power cable for 30 secs and that did nothing either. I disconnected all of the USB slots except the keyboard and still nothing. I called Apple Support, and the tech told me to try unplugging the power cable again for 30 secs. After this did not work he told me that it must be a faulty keyboard and that I should go to an Apple store to get a new one.

So after that, I decided to try something else. I plugged my USB Midi Keyboard back into the computer while I was at the login screen, and turned the power on the Midi Keyboard (it's powered by the USB cable). I think I then rebooted the computer (was a few days ago), and after that the computer keyboard started working again. Almost like I recreated the conditions before the iPhone had been plugged in and it fixed it.

Anyway, the next morning after this, my girlfriend plugged her iPhone 5 into the USB slot on the back of the iMac, and the computer keyboard stopped working again. I wasn't able to fix it this time, I turned the computer off and left my apartment for 2 days. When I came back the keyboard worked again. So I'm thinking this is likely a software issue with Mountain Lion, or some issue with the USB controller on this new iMac. Any help would be appreciated so this doesn't happen again.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2012 iMac

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 1:15 PM

1 reply

Mar 15, 2013 9:09 AM in response to hmhalsey

It may be that plugging in the iPhone has nothing to do with the keyboard problem. I have the same 2012 iMac with an Apple extended keyboard. I also have an annoying intermittent problem with the iMac not detecting my keyboard. My keyboard is plugged into one of the USB slots on the iMac. I can usually solve the problem by shutting down and rebooting but that is not an acceptable solution in the long run. The keyboard that came with the iMac should work seamlessly with that computer!

Keyboard becomes undetectable in 2012 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.