Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to sell my iMac G4 and the install disk doesn't work. What do I do?

I want to sell or give away my iMac G4 but the install disk won't run. I've formatted the drive and installed Panther from disks I bought when it first came out. I've installed them it to the point at which the animation comes up and you are asked to personalise the machine and create an account. I thought I'd leave that for the new owner so that it is truly his machine. What happens when he connects to the internet and it asks him to register with Apple? Can he use the OS if he hasn't got my Apple ID?

Or is there another way round this?

It's a lovely old machine and I would like to see it continuing to be used rather than going to landfill.

iMac 1GHz, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:53 PM

The new user can register to apple. That's not a license violation. He doesn't need an apple id to register the machine.

6 replies

Mar 13, 2013 1:11 AM in response to Klaus1

Thanks Klaus,

It's a long time since I installed a new OS but I thought you had to go through registration before it would work. You certainly have to supply your name and address, and then it prompts you to register. Will it let you skip that step?

If the new owner can do that, why would he need the install disks? And how do I get through to the right person at Apple?

Mar 13, 2013 12:35 PM in response to John Morrish

That's not quite right. You've bought the Panther retail version as a single machine license. So if you give it away with your mac you can't use it anymore (e.g. as a second user on a second machine). It's a machine not a user or owner license. The registration process during installation only registers the machines hardware ID (not the OS) to the new user at apple for e.g. guarantee purposes.

I want to sell my iMac G4 and the install disk doesn't work. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.