Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after installing a new Hard Drive in Mac Book Pro.

I recently started working on a unibody macbook pro. The laptop was part of a university compter lab and the hard drive was removed when this computer was removed from service. This system was working when it was removed from service, the only reason it was removed was the school wanted all PC in this lab. We installed a new hard drive into the sytem and tried to install a retail copy of Snow Leopard on to the system. After a few seconds of loading from the install CD, the screen dims and displays the message "You need to restart your computer .....". We have tried multiple copies of the install media and have had no luck. The kernal panic occurs every time we try to run the install media.

I was interested to see if this was a problem with the drive so I removed the drive and placed it in a Mac Pro desktop and it was recognized and formated with out issue. I was able to install snowleopard on the drive and boot to it in the desktop. Once I placed it back into the macbook, it paniced again.

I tried to see if the motherboard was bad on the macbook, so I put in a copy of the windows 7 install DVD and it not only loaded the installer, but it sucessfully ran the installer and windows 7 ran perfectly. Seeing this, I don't feel the the motherboard or drive is bad.

We have tried to run multiple versions of the OSX install media, tried to do a NetInstall from our Xserve, and even tried to use a USB thumbdrive to install and everytime we get the kernal panic. I have used the starup keys to reset NVRAM. I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 2:30 PM

5 replies

Mar 12, 2013 3:14 PM in response to ChrisZornes

That version will not boot that computer. The computer requires the installer DVDs that came with it when new or you will need to install a later release version of OS X which now would have to be Mountain Lion.

You can purchase replacement discs if you don't have them from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.

For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

Problems after installing a new Hard Drive in Mac Book Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.