Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch screen for a Mac Mini?

I'm looking to buy a Mac Mini for music production and want to do something kinda out of the norm. I wanna get a 32" (perferrably) touch screen monitor to use with the Mac to eliminate the need for a keyboard and mouse. Does anyone know of a good touch screen monitor that will work well with a Mac Mini?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:47 PM

22 replies

May 15, 2013 7:42 PM in response to ErikFromOH

I have a similar need, but probably less complicated. I just want to hook my Mac mini up to a touchscreen monitor that has the proper drivers to work with the latest OSX. I want something that can stand abuse and doesn't have compatibility problems, preferably something that comes in multiple sizes like 15 inch, 17, 21 etc. I see the guy who has the youtube video on installing the mini + touchscreen in his kitchen used an iiyama prolite. they are expensive! is it necessary to purchase such an expensive one? i'm also interested in those who know of a POS system (e.g. the type used in restaurants, made for constant abuse) that works with the latest mac os. thanks for any help. G

May 16, 2013 1:38 AM in response to ErikFromOH

I suspect most touch screens will not come with Mac drivers however the following site is for a company that produces third-party drivers including for the Mac.

See http://www.touch-base.com/

Note: Some screens only support two-finger guestures e.g. pinch-to-zoom but not three or four finger guestures. You might want to check with the maker of the screen since OS X supports and uses 3 and 4 finger commands.

May 16, 2013 9:57 PM in response to ErikFromOH

It's not the touchscreen I'm having trouble with. I've found a couple that will work. My problem is I'm having trouble finding this "mouse emulator" that I've been looking for. When I say mouse emulator, I'm talking about pretty much taking the track pad and making a digital version of it and putting on the screen to use. In my head it seemed simple enough but I have yet to find something that fits my needs.

May 17, 2013 10:11 AM in response to ErikFromOH

Erik - I'm sorry I cannot help you. I remember hearing about a touchscreen that can handle track-pad-like gestures, but I'm not sure if that is what you want, and will have to dig around to find the link.

In the meantime, can you help me? You stated you found a few compatible touchscreen monitors. Can you point me in the right direction for a fairly seamless approach to touchscreen+mac mini? I don't want to get into a situation where I have to have a custom driver built, if possible.

Thanks,

G

Aug 20, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Tom Freeman

Hi Tom,

I'm using an 4 wire overlay that was purchased off eBay. No brand name associated with it. I believe the 4 wire models can support dual touch, by the driver descriptions that are available for Windows, but Mac drivers don't.

Here is what I got.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17-inch-USB-Panel-Kit-Set-Add-Touch-Screen-Function-/ 180662769175?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item2a10571617&_uhb=1

And drivers.
http://home.eeti.com.tw/DriverDownload.html

Hope this helps.

Evan

Oct 28, 2013 4:49 AM in response to ErikFromOH

Hi,

I've been using a IIyama 17 inch screen for the last 5 years (comes with the eGalax touch driver).

I'm using it for POS in a retail store.

My recent quad mac mini i7 is way more responsive then the old 2008 model and that is important with touch.

I want to upgrade to a better touch screen, I send an e-mail to ELO since they seem to be market leaders but no reply. Anyone using a mac mini with a 19-22 inch touch screen in a POS enviorment ?

My current 17 screen at 1280x1024 is a little too small for just one specicic field in my POS software.

Tom

Jan 12, 2014 6:44 PM in response to twies

The answer is YES. MAC's do work with all touch screen monitors once you download the free drivers.

I have a Mac Mini and a Mac book pro both of which are connect to the same Acer Touch Screen Monitor. I am using it as write this to you.All you need to do is download the free drivers from www.touch-base.com. The basic touch drivers are free. I also purchase the mac gesture drivers for $109 USD and they work great. You can even activate the on screen keyboard in the mac accessibility settings which allows you to have a touch screen keyboard. I also run Parallels with windows 8.1 and when I switch from Mac to PC, both touch screens work perfect. The support staff at touch-base is great.

Brendan

Touch screen for a Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.