Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac internal temperatures normal?

Hi guys,

I've got a late 2009 27inch iMac that feels very hot to the touch. After looking around, it seems like some people say it's normal, and some say its not. All I am doing at the moment is using google chrome to browse these forums. Nothing else. All in degrees celcius, and naturally it fluctuates 1 or 2 degrees when I'm not touching it.

HD: 54

CPU: 45

Ambient: 25

GPU Diode: 59

GPU Heatsink: 58

Mem Controller: 53

Optical Drive: 52

Power Supply 2: 59

Optical drive: 1388rpm

Hard Drive: 1315rpm

CPU Fan: 1250rpm

I'm concerned because when I'm using my iMac, my room is ridiculously hotter than the rest of the house.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:42 PM

1 reply

Mar 12, 2013 10:06 PM in response to trc4eva

If the fan RPMs are from a software internal fan control app, you could speed up the fans a little more.

I run software internal fans controls, also. I run the fans around between 1400 and 1600 RPMs.

You could, also, purchase a small high speed desktop fan that blows cooler air onto the back of the iMac, too!

Also, have you tried to vacuum out all of the different venting holes and ports around the iMac?

To do this, you need to unplug everything off of the iMac, disconnect from power, lay the iMac screen down on a soft towel. Using either a small or conventional canister vacuum with a crevice tool attach to the vacuum hose, lightly vacuum out the top vents all of the ports, the port on the back of the iMac in the middle of the support stand, all of the connections ports, DVD slot, SD card slot and if you can along the bottom where the speakers and RAM is installed. Do this lightly so as not to scratch the iMac's finish.

If you own a smaller vacuum appliance or small vacuum designed for use with electronics, use that to vacuum out all of the dust,,lint and dirt from all of the iMac's outside openings.

iMac internal temperatures normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.