Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happened?

I recently had to restore my iPhone, so I plugged it into my computer and it asked me what backup I would like to use. This was normal right? Sure. I backup my phone to iCloud almost every night, but when I went to select a backup from iCloud, it said that the last backup is unavailable. The only backup there that I could chose was a backup from NOVEMBER. I don't know what to do; all of my music, pictures, messages, and applications from the past five months are gone! [not all of the things on my phone(music, apps) were things I bought from iTunes, and I don't have any other way to get them back] 😕😟User uploaded file

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:36 PM

Sounds like you restored to an iTunes backup rather than an iCloud backup. To restore to your iCloud backup, go to Settings>General>Reset and tap Erase All Content and Settings. Then go back through the setup screens on your phone, and when given the option choose Restore from iCloud Backup (see image below). Be sure your phone is connected to wifi and your charger as this will take a while to finish.

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2013 9:36 PM in response to Marissa_97

Sounds like you restored to an iTunes backup rather than an iCloud backup. To restore to your iCloud backup, go to Settings>General>Reset and tap Erase All Content and Settings. Then go back through the setup screens on your phone, and when given the option choose Restore from iCloud Backup (see image below). Be sure your phone is connected to wifi and your charger as this will take a while to finish.

User uploaded file

Mar 12, 2013 9:59 PM in response to Marissa_97

Noting the responses from randers4 and Novicii above, I'm a little more skeptical about being able to restore from an iCloud backup ...

In the screen shot Marissa_97 provided above, I'm noticing the lower right where it says: "Last backed up to iCloud: Unknown".

Marissa_97, you said "I back up my iPhone to iCloud almost every night ..." Are you sure?

From the HT4859 article Novicii supplied: "Once you have enabled Backup on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in Settings > iCloud > Backup & Storage, it will run on a daily basis as long as your device:

• is connected to Internet over Wi-Fi
  • is connected to a power source
  • has the screen locked"

Have you either fulfilled all these conditions or done a manual backup each night?

what happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.