Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Imac 21" 2.7ghz with fusion drive perform?

Hi, I am new here so I apologise if I am doing this wrong.

I am about to press buy on the order of my first imac - 21" 2.7ghz, fusion drive, 16 gb ram and AppleCare. Just having a little panic because I can find heaps of info and speeds tests on the i7 with fusion drive etc but nothing what I have decided on.

I would love some feedback from anyone with this sort of configuration or anyone who has tried this. I live hundreds of Km's from a apple store so I can't do hands on comparison.

I will be using the unit for Internet, office programs and hopefully (if I find time) editing and organising my home photoes on aperture. Maybe sideshow with music using photoshop once or twice a year.

I can't see the benefit in paying $200 more to upgrade to a higher i5 chip. I don't want to pay $400 to upgrade to the i7 if i dont need it. However, i am not 100% sure that this is the right call. From everything I have read the i5 quad core should be powerful enough for my type of program usage.

8 gb of ram would do me for now but I have increase this for aperture and for later years.

The fusion drive - well it sounds great and I love the flash on the iPads. Does it feel like that?

Thanks,

Kaz

iMac, 2.7 ghz

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:06 AM

I agree fully with you that for your intended uses the i5 CPU is just fine. The 8GB of RAM will work well, and can always be increased later. Since i own the fully Upgraded system you describe I would add that I find the single greatest increase in speed in these new iMacs resulted from my choosing to get the Fusion Drive. The conventional older hard drives have always been the slowest component in a computer since it is mechanical in build, and the solid state portion of the Fusion Drive keeps your most often accessed software files in there. In other words, the Fusion Drive actively self manages your files to give you the greatest access speed. I highly recommend it.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2013 5:06 AM in response to Tommycat1

I agree fully with you that for your intended uses the i5 CPU is just fine. The 8GB of RAM will work well, and can always be increased later. Since i own the fully Upgraded system you describe I would add that I find the single greatest increase in speed in these new iMacs resulted from my choosing to get the Fusion Drive. The conventional older hard drives have always been the slowest component in a computer since it is mechanical in build, and the solid state portion of the Fusion Drive keeps your most often accessed software files in there. In other words, the Fusion Drive actively self manages your files to give you the greatest access speed. I highly recommend it.

Mar 13, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Tommycat1

Obviously, you have very thoroughly thought this out based on your needs.

Here's the thing

I have been pushing potential buyers here who want to buy the new 21 inch screen models to really think to the future.

You may not be able to afford get a newer Mac in 2-3 years down the road.

So, with regard to the 21 in h screen iMacs only, I think it would be better for future proofing your iMac purchase if you go for both the full amount of RAM and forget about the low end 2.7 Ghz CPU and get that faster 2.9 Ghz i5 CPU and even consider the 3.1 i7 CPU. The i7 CPU in the 21 inch models is the low end i7.

(The 27 inch screen models have the higher speed 3.4 Ghz i7 CPU.)

Why?

These 21 inch models are sealed up, glued up, closed nearly throw away appliance-like computing devices , now.

If you do not like the speed of the low end 2.7 Ghz CPU, you will only return it in14 days back to Apple for a full refund and have to order another iMac with better specs, yet again!

No one ever regrets buying the slower conputer.

By purchasing a new iMac with a faster CPU, you will be addressing some issues toward the future.

Your iMac will run newer versions of OS X perhaps longer with a faster CPU now, then struggling with it with the lower base model CPU.

Plus, I seriously advise budgeting for extended 3-year AppleCare. You will need it.

You can purchase the extended warranty care any time within the first year of AppleCare. Do this!

Prior reliability history indicates that something major will fail in these iMacs within the first five years of their operational life.

Good Luck!

Mar 13, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Tommycat1

I have just had another thought re updates to operating systems.. And this might sound silly - just keep in mind I come from a PC background. When an operating system updates for PC all reasonable processors will update. - I would put a quad core ivy bridge I5 in the reasonable class. eg: win 7 to win 8

Does apple provide updates for all their chips when they update os? Say for the next 3 to 4 years. (Just thinking of how my samsung android phone has stopped updating)

Would disquinish between the 2.7ghz, 2.9ghz and the i7 when designing updates - keeping in mind that the difference in i5 chips and output from both is minimal. ???

Mar 13, 2013 6:30 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you Michael,

Apart from the possibe future proofing will there be any other benefits for me to have the 21" i7 chip over the 21" i5 2.7ghz?

I don't think paying $420 (1/5 of the cost of the computer - on top) for a higher chip setting to future proof it is good economy. Especially when it will still belong to the same generation of intel chip (3rd). A generation that will be very old in 4 years. - It may be a 16 core chip by then. That money could be kept and the computer upgraded a year earlier. HOWEVER, if there is a good reason to go with the i7 then want to do that.

Thanks Kaz

Mar 13, 2013 8:02 PM in response to Tommycat1

Both the Intel i5 and i7 CPUs are both Quad Core CPUs.

The Intel i7 CPUs are not only faster CPU speed, but using a technology called Hyper Threading.

Hyper Threading pushes more data through the 4 Core pipeline and speeds up processing of a heavy data flow.

There is no Hyper Threading technologies in the Intel i5 CPU lineup.

This is different from the Turbo Boost in which the CPU speed is variable and can increase its speed if the data processing requires it. It's like a temporary speed burst rate.

At any rate, if you feel you won't be doing any moderate to heavy video editing work or any heavy Photoshop or heavy photo editing in the future, you can definitely get by on the faster 2.9 Ghz i5 CPU. Forget about the 2.7 i5 CPU.

Go for the faster Intel 2.9 i5 CPU.

Good Luck!

Mar 13, 2013 11:42 PM in response to Tommycat1

Thanks to everyone for your comments and information!! They are helping me.

Is the i5 2.9ghz really that much better than the i5 2.7 chip? There were nine new chips at the intel launch. I can't see a huge advantage in swapping 1 chip in the bottom 4 for another in the bottom 4.

Benchmark speedmark 8 scores for the 2 were: 2.9ghz. 204. And 2.7ghz. 194.

Individual Application scores for Aperture import: 2.9Ghz. 76.5 sec. and 2.7 Ghz 75.7 secs (note the i7 with fusion drive flew)

http://www.macworld.com.au/reviews/apple-21-5in-imac-2012-81893/

I might be missing something but I see the only chip upgrade thought would be the i7 for $420 not this little step for $200.

Thanks Kaz.

Mar 14, 2013 9:10 AM in response to Tommycat1

Hi, Again,

Well, in the Apple world and especially with iMac's the CPU types are, basically incremental increases.

2.7, 2.9, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.4 Ghz.

It's, basically $200 per incremental increase.

I was pushing you toward the i7, but you seemed as though you didn't feel you needed it.

So, I advised going the middle of the road with the 2.9 Ghz i5 CPU.

Marginally faster is still faster. $200 is cheaper than adding the additonal costs to get the i7.

Since the 21 inch models are sealed up, I really advise loading up the iMac with all of the higher options.

You won't ever be able to do that in the near future without selling the iMac and buying a new one.

So , I am going to stick to the advice I have been giving to potential customers interested in only purchasing the new 21 inch screen models.

Get the fastest CPU available, get the Fusion drive and get the full compliment of RAM.

The i7 CPU with Hyper Threading will be very fast.

The 3.2 Ghz i5 CPU in the 27 inch screen iMac models is only an Intel i5 CPU. No Hyper Threading.

The faster i7 CPU means you'll have pretty fast Mac for longer time period.

Do what you will.

Good Luck!

How does Imac 21" 2.7ghz with fusion drive perform?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.