Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)

I am trying to copy files onto a brand new drive but keep getting this error. I have searched the forums with no luck. I am copying 4 TB via firewire 800 so its taking 18+ hours but I keep getting this error.

The operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)

Any ideas?

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2), On XP, Vista, OSX and linux

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 3:50 AM

1 reply

Jan 29, 2014 12:49 PM in response to Cipiatone

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased two new external drives (Firewire 800) for my Mac G5 running OSX 10.7.5. After copying one batch of files successfully I got the dreaded "operation can't be completed (Error Code - 50)" message. Looking here for answers, I wasn't getting much help. The error code occurred whether I was copying big files or small, and the names had no unusual characters.

Finally I tried the old standby - I rebooted my Mac. And everything worked after that. Still don't know what caused those error codes, but when all else fail, reboot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.