Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i reset my phone with out losing everything

How can i reset my phone without losing everything?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 4:28 AM

10 replies

Mar 13, 2013 4:33 AM in response to peteyfromnsw

All depends on what reset you want to do: Settings > General > Reset Reset All Settings will reset the settings but not remove any apps, tunes, etc. Reset Network Settings will only remove the wireless network settings so you can reenter.

To do a soft reset, aka reboot, hold both the home and power buttons until the apple logo appears and it restarts, ignoring the red slider if it apperas. That resets without removing any content and clear minor glitches that may be occuring.

Mar 13, 2013 4:55 AM in response to peteyfromnsw

If certain apps are having problems, do the reboot and see if that helps. First, though, double click the home button, touch one of the apps that appears across the bottom of the screen until they all start to jiggle, then tap the red circle with a minus sign in the corner of each. That completely stops and dismisses the apps. Then do the reboot.

If you continue to have issues with certain apps, the problem is probably with the apps themselves. Try deleting the app, touch until a black circle with an X in it appears and tap that to delete the app, then redownload the app and see if that helps. If that doesn't help then there is a basic flaw in the app.

Dec 1, 2014 4:56 PM in response to jcweed09

jcweed09 wrote:

After a major iMessage/SMS crash, my phone randomly goes blank, but the only thing that works is the vibration of the silence switch and the sound when you plug in your phone, will a hard resetfix that without losing everything?

iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

There is no such thing as a "hard reset" with iOS. There is a reset where you press and hold the Home and power buttons until the apple appears and no data is lost. Then there is a restore. You use iTunes. Your data will be erased. You can then restore it from the back up you made before starting.

How can i reset my phone with out losing everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.