Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camcorders - AVCHD vs MP4, etc.

We are looking to upgrade our camcorder and get out of the dark ages of SD format on Digital 8. But I've discovered that almost all the camcorders prefer to use AVCHD format and iMovie doesn't apparently play well with it. It requires an extra step of converting the file to a format like mp4 that iMovie likes.

Some of the cameras do have the ability to shoot in mp4 from the start alleviating this problem but am I correct in reading that the AVCHD is "full HD" while mp4 is something of lesser quality?

My real question is, if there is a quality dropoff, how much of one is it? It's just home movies but I want the quality to be as high as it can be within reason. Can someone give me a rundown on the pros and cons of the two formats?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:28 AM

6 replies

Mar 13, 2013 7:43 AM in response to autigers1970

autigers1970 wrote:

… But I've discovered that almost all the camcorders prefer to use AVCHD format and iMovie doesn't apparently play well with it. It requires an extra step of converting the file …

wrong info.

AVCHD is supported by iM11, except AVCHD v2 (read as: 3D, Dolby 5.1, 1080/50p …/60p)

autigers1970 wrote:

… am I correct in reading that the AVCHD is "full HD" while mp4 is something of lesser quality?

'fullHD' usually means 1920x1080.

the difference in quality is based upon codec and bit-rate:

AVCHD has a very efficient codec (h264), but is a interframe compression

mpeg4 is less efficient codec, but a intraframe compression:

AVCHD has to be 'made' editable, mpeg4 is editable 'out of the box'

But the same video with the same file size has a better quality in AVCHD than in mpeg4.

if 'speed' is an asset, use mpeg4 or iFrame

if 'quality' is an asset, use AVCHD.

... but picture 'quality' is beyond resolution and codecs.- 😉

if you like to use the actual version of iM11, look for a cam which offers 720p (now) and 1080p (future use).-

Apr 17, 2013 12:00 PM in response to autigers1970

It requires an extra step of converting the file to a format like mp4 that iMovie likes.

In my experience, they both need to be converted, but mp4 usually does convert faster.

---AVCHD is "full HD" while mp4 is something of lesser quality?

This depends on the camera. For example, the JVC PX100 I have uses h.264 for both AVCHD and MP4 and MOV capture and I've noticed no visual difference between the two at the same resolution.

AVCHD:

Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

Audio: AC3 (2ch) Dolby Digital

MP4/MOV:

Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264(MP4)

Audio: AAC (2ch) (MP4)/LPCM (2ch) (MOV)

What you'll see is that Sony and Panasonic will capture their highest resolutions in AVCHD only. JVC captures MP4 all the way up to 1080p at 60 frames per second. So, yes mp4 is USUALLY of lesser quality, but it's usually because they're CAPTURING it at lesser quality. But, if that's all the camera does, then that's all it does. So, if you buy a camcorder with lesser quality MP4, then that's what you get. Another benefit of MP4 is that it will import directly to iMovie on the iPad as well, straight from the SD card using the Camera Connection kit.

So, for the camcorder you get, if the highest resolution format is AVCHD, then there's not really a quality "choice" as far as that goes. If the camcorder you get captures MP4 at the same resolution as AVCHD? Then, I don't see a reason to use AVCHD. In fact, the JVC camcorder mentioned above defaults to MP4 from the factory.

Jan 7, 2014 11:19 PM in response to Aupower

Aupower wrote:

… JVC PX 100 … wondering if you can specify the frame rate etc you want to shoot in for MP4?…

according to the product's website, it offers some selections

http://procisioncam.jvc.com/#SPECIFICATIONS

mp4 is 60p, iFrame is 30p, …

and the slowmo speeds (120/240/300 and 420/600) reduce resolution (dramatically…)

hesitate to purchase for a while: on CES2014, Sony announced AX100 and Panasonic the 757 - both offering 1080/120p ...

and a looks like, the Sony action-cam AS100 has another huge "have!"-factor 😁

… I'm still missing the 1080/120p/10bit camcorder for <1.000$ 😝😢😎

Camcorders - AVCHD vs MP4, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.