Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

advice for iFamily set-up

as iMom - i oversee downloads/ purchases/ syncs for :

kid1 iPod,

kid2 iPad,

my iPhone/iPad/iMac & our iPic files via 1 apple email as we share music, games downloads...

i am looking for a way for myself, kid1, kid 2 have the ability to iConnect w/ each other when we're apart?

when iMessaging we have the same name so it gets confusing and facetime will not work from me: out-of-town iPad -> to family via iMac, or iPods,Pads.

what is the best set up for keeping our 1 family account AND be able to contact each other when apart? i'm thinking each have an account, but then would we be able to share, w/o internet connection. can't

thanks for reading my confusing iPain... any direction would be put to use.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 11:59 AM

1 reply

Mar 14, 2013 6:50 PM in response to c.nett

I can help with part of your syncing: iMessage. For iMessage to work the way you want, each person should have their own Apple ID. You can set up the kids account for use without a credit card. Here's how. The kids will need seperate valid email addresses as these will become their Apple ID. .

Once you get the Apple ID, on the iPod/iPad go to Settings/Messages and set up the Messages account with the new Apple ID. That will eliminate the confusion you are having now with iMessage.

iCloud may be a good way to sync your Apps and games.

advice for iFamily set-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.