14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 12:57 PM by Niku
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I have to use Time Machine to restore some files. I've never done this before, which is why I've posponed this job for many months. Today, however, I decided to do it, even if it takes me all day. Unfortunately, what I've experienced so far proves to me that I was right to dread it. I'm having difficulties, so I decided to come here to get some help, step-by-little step. My first question is about the screen that takes you to the place your want to go. There are up and down arrows and there is a column on the right side. Is there a way to find a date on that column and click there? I'll probably have to be doing this frequently, and I find the arrows to be inconvenient. I have to click and wait, click and wait....

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (91,380 points)

Niku wrote:

Is there a way to find a date on that cooumn and click there?

Of course. However, you will have to search the date on this column, and when you have found this, click it and the folder stored on this backup will appear. Then, just select the files you want to restore with the Command key, and press the Restore button

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Okay l, but I think I did that. I clicked on the vertical column on the date that I wanted, but nothing happened. I'll go back and see if there is something else I should be clicking.

Was the column greyed out or purple? If it was greyed out, you can't access to the backup of that date

That didn't work. Clicking on the date, or on the little horizontal bar after the date didn't do anything. I even tried right-clicking, and clicking with Command, Option, and Control. That didn't help, either. I looks like I'm going to have to use the arrows.

Was the bar purple or greyed out?

At the bottom of the column it says "Now". That, and the little bar that follows it are white. ALL other dates and bars are purple.

Depending on the external drive you are using, you may have to wait until data is read. Have you waited some seconds? Then, it should move to the backup you have selected

Okay, I'll take a 30-minute break, but i just noticed something that might be a clue. The month I want is October, 2012. I, and the bar that follow it are bright purple; however, the three little bars that follow it are grayed-out purple; then, a bright purple bar appears, and then November 2012 is displayed in bright purple.

Whoops! I clicked on "This helped me" instead where I wanted to go. Anyway, I have made great progresss. I'm crossing my fingers, but it looks like i've found what I was beginning to think was lost forever. However, one problem sometimes leads to another. This time, the problem is that when I try to recover my iPhoto videos and pictures, the process starts, but then I see the following message: "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access 'photo library'". What now?

• Eric Root Level 8 Level 8 (36,995 points)

Thanks for that. I'll apply it when I finish? my project...manana. Enough is enough for one day.

You are welcome

Me, too, Eric. Worse, I have to continually go back to correct what I have typed. Anyway, thanks for the links. I'm sure that they will help me get my iPhoto, iMovie, and Photo Booth fullly loaded when I, hopefully, finish the job  TOMORROW. I might add that I am now optimistic. I had already downloaded and printed "The Mac user's guide to Time Machine," "Apple's 'Time Machine' backup How-To," "Mac Basics: Time Machine" and, "Time Machine - Backing Up Your Data Has Never Been So Easy", but I haven't had the nerve to get started until today. Tomorrow I'll be sure to start the day with a bowl of Wheaties.