My wife and I have been sharing one iTunes account for years. We now have two iMac and so I'd like to separate into two accounts by retaining my original account on my imac and creating a new itunes account on her iMac. Her iMac is the one with the original account. Her ipod is tied to that computer and my account but I'd like her ipod tied to the new account so she can start making purchases that do not show up under my account and on my imac/ipad.
I understand that this process is not possible since apps and songs are liscensed under one user. However, I can easily redownload the apps my wife uses (15 or so, most of which are free). It's the iTunes store bought music I am unclear about.
I've done a bit of researching and have come to an idea that may work but I'd like feedback from those more in the know than I.
So, I'd like to run this process by all of you out there and ask if this sounds right.
My imac is all set with my account.
Wifes iMac: (Core i7, 10.6.8, current iTunes)
- Set-up wife's iMac with a new itunes account.
- Turn on that account in iTunes (authorize to computer to this new account)
- Home Sharing is on (purchased music on her computer under my account but not on my computer... I don't listen to Amy Winehouse)
- Connect her ipod (Touch gen 2) to her iMac and update as new account.
-this may delete all songs on her ipod but with home sharing can I just reload the music from the itunes library?
-Will I be able to load the store purchased music that resides on her imac onto her ipod touch with the new account on it?
- Or will she have to "authorize" each and every song as the ipod plays them???
– Redownload wifes previous free apps (downloaded under my name) under her new account.
The end result is I'd like any new purchases of songs or apps to be under her new account but still retain the music she purchased under my account on her ipod. Thus she can purchase on the device and it will update in itunes on iMac.
Does this make sense? Will this work?