Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much memory do I need?

I am going to buy a MacBook Air soon but wondering how much storage I need.

I'll probably store most of my music on the cloud but load it up using a external passport drive. I will probably save a few photos and lightly use word and indesign.

Is the 128gb version going to be ok for my needs?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 3:00 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

As you have an external drive, you can store the data that doesn't fit onto your MacBook on it, so 128 GB should enough for your uses. Note that 128 GB aren't too much so, although you shouldn't have any problem, check that you won't need Windows; in this case, you may have storage problems and you should consider 256 GB

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2013 3:00 PM in response to youandiaredominoes

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

As you have an external drive, you can store the data that doesn't fit onto your MacBook on it, so 128 GB should enough for your uses. Note that 128 GB aren't too much so, although you shouldn't have any problem, check that you won't need Windows; in this case, you may have storage problems and you should consider 256 GB

Mar 13, 2013 3:05 PM in response to youandiaredominoes

Yes, it should be adequate. You will have roughly 120 GBs of usable storage of which about 27 GBs is going to be OS X. In addition you need to maintain about 15 GBs of free space that OS X could use for its various needs. A disk file the size of installed memory will also be created automatically and OS X will always set up a swap space that starts at 64 MBs. This will leave you about 74 GBs if you have 4 GBs of RAM or 70 GBs if you get 8 GBs of RAM.

You can figures out if that's sufficient for your needs for third-party applications and other files you may load onto the computer. On one of my computers I've pretty much included everything I need including lots of applications and a stripped down iTunes library and still have 50 GBs left.

Mar 13, 2013 3:27 PM in response to youandiaredominoes

If you don't mind spending the money you can buy Apple's external USB SuperDrive. Of course any other external drive will do. Or borrow someone's computer and clone your DVD installers to USB flash drives.

Keep things to a minimum. You don't want to lug around a DVD drive and an external hard drive just so you can use a computer you bought because it was light and portable. If you are going to lug around nearly two pounds of accessories then you might as well have bought a 13" MBP.

How much memory do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.