Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backup space after I open iPhoto

Hi, yesterday, after I had wrong delete some photo from my iphoto library, I have decided to restore entire iphoto library from Time machine backup.

I have select last backup and I select desktop destination folder for restored library. Then, i have delete original library and cut paste restore library from desktop.

I have backup all with time machine.

Now, when I open iphoto and close it without any changes, Time Machine backup always 450mb...

Is normal?? I have fixed permission and restore iphoto database.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 3:57 PM

11 replies

Mar 14, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Vailfox

Vailfox wrote:

Ok, I have tried TimeTracker with these results:

in iPhoto Library

-> Database folder = 171MB

If you're really making no changes at all, not even browsing, I wouldn't expect much to be backed-up.

I don't have a current version of iPhoto avaiable at the moment, so can't check. But with a fairly small iPhoto '09 library (just under 1 GB), it backs-up just under 1 MB after just opening and quitting. It's no doubt making some minor changes to lock and unlock things, perhaps keep track of when things were lasted opened, etc. A lot of it appears to be metadata.

That likely explains the database changing -- if anything changes in any kind of file, including a database file, the whole thing gets backed-up next time.

-> Thumbnails/Segments folder 181MB

The backup data regards only iPhoto.

Should I regenerate iPhoto Thumbnails? 😐

Might be worth a try.

Stil, I wouldn't worry about this too much -- as Time Machine deletes all but the first backup of the day after 24 hours, the most space those backups will take is 400 MB/day. And, after a month, they're further "thinned" to one per week.

Not really a lot in relation to a 32 GB iPhoto library. 😉

Time machine backup space after I open iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.