Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User sharing of iPhoto

Having decided to commit to building a new user (which will take some time because I don't have a lot of free space to work with), I started looking into how I should deal with my biggest and most important data load, which is photos.

I use Photoshop Elements more than I do iPhoto nowadays, but I do have a lot of stuff in iPhoto. I want the new user to be able to get at it.

I've spent about an hour reading various threads and articles about this issue of sharing the iPhoto library, and I'm getting the impression that I can't do it simply by moving the library to the Shared folder.

I cannot believe that. And no, I don't want to put it on an external HD. I have two of those, but they are backup drives, not working drives.

Can any of my fellow PowerMac users shed light on this? I am using iPhoto '09 (v. 8.1.2).

Power Mac G5 2.0 (late '05), two PM 7600s (bless 'em), beige G3, CDMA iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 3:20 PM

1 reply

Mar 13, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Nina R

OK, I just found a thread started by someone with the same objective and this input to Terminal seems to have worked for the OP and another user:

chriss-macbook:~ chris$ cd /users/Shared

chriss-macbook:Shared chris$ ls

iPhoto Small Library

iTunes Small Library

chriss-macbook:Shared chris$ chmod -R 777 "iPhoto Small Library"

chriss-macbook:Shared chris$ exit

logout

From user Chris Skitch on this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1332652?start=0&tstart=0

If anyone has comments or caveats, will appreciate hearing them. Otherwise, assume no news is good news 🙂

User sharing of iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.