Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emergency time.. Mac wont boot using my new SSD

I recently aquired a new Crucial SSD and installed it in my Macbook late 2008. I had cloned it from origonal hard drive, and everything worked like a dream!

Tonight, i replaced my optical drive with my old HDD using the HDD optical drive Caddy. That all went relativley smooth, everything going back where it should, except one thing, i broke the four prong sub woofer plug, while spurging it out. This isnt my emergency though.

After everything was put back in its rightful place, and i powered up. My screen started flashing the folder with a question mark... so i powered off and booted pressing option key for Startup Disk. Now the problem came.

My new SSD was no longer anywhere to be seen! The only disk bootable was my old hard drive named 'Funks Brain' and a recovery disk.

I have rebooted a few times now, and i cannot seem to locate my SSD drive, which is installed in the origonal hard drive section of my computer!

Please help me. I am at a loss.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 4:35 PM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2013 4:56 PM in response to Daire84

Trouble shooting hardware issues from a distance is iffy at the best of times. It is a process of elimination. My first thought would be to reinstall the SSD physically. Go through the whole process of installing the SSD once again. The idea here is something might have come loose. (Obviously the software installation on the SSD worked since you were able to boot from it.)

If that does not get you anywhere, I would reomve the SSD and put it an external enclosure and see if you can boot from it that way. That will tell you if the SSD suddenly decided to go belly up - doubtful, but worth checking.

Emergency time.. Mac wont boot using my new SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.