Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on OS X 10.8.2 fails to connect chat.facebook.com

Hi

I have followed the correct instructions to setup Jabber account for facebook on OS X 10.8.2. But on my every try, I have faced the error- Messages can’t communicate with the Jabber account “chat.facebook.com.” account name, password I typed are perfect match to my facebook account. I had followed following instructions:

account: accountname@chat.facebook.com

password: facebook password

Server: chat.facebook.com

Port: 5222

No SSL

Warn before sending password ticked

But no luck😟 Please guide me to fix this..

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:14 PM

11 replies

Mar 14, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Ajith R

Hi,

You have not mentioned Enabled "Chat" on your Facebook settings at Facebook.

Did the instruction say NO SSL ?

Have you tried it with SSL (It will change the port to 5223) ?

User uploaded file
10:33 PM Thursday; March 14, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 15, 2013 2:08 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

Thanks for responding. Yes, my facebook chat is enabled. I use facebook chat on facebook as well as skype. everywhere it works just fine except ichat.

I have tried all the possible options including SSL (i.e 5223). No instructions were thrown at me. It displays- "connecting..." for few seconds on status bar and then "Disconnected". when I hit "⚠", I get this- Messages can’t communicate with the Jabber account “chat.facebook.com”.

google talk works smooth as a silk on the same Jabber account of ichat. Then what might be the reason with the facebook?

Mar 15, 2013 12:25 PM in response to Ajith R

Hi,

Jabber is an option in iChat and yes the GoogleTalk account will be using Jabber.

However due to Google insistence on using a different naming method for their server it has a separate entry point in the Add pane.

Everyone else uses username@servername.com and the usename@ is stripped leaving you the server name.

Google have two forms of their Google Mail names (@gmail and @googlemail.com) but call their server talk.google.com to unify them.

As the Jabber process is working for GoogleTalk it is hard to say why it is not working for Facebook.

I see that the Facebook Help says this

User uploaded file

It seems that you are not told to select a Port by using the SSL option but to enable the "Automatically find Server and Port" option.

User uploaded file

Are you using this box ?

User uploaded file
7:25 PM Friday; March 15, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 18, 2013 11:04 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

Thank you. But I have followed facebook help instructions with no luck. This- "It seems that you are not told to select a Port by using the SSL option but to enable the "Automatically find Server and Port" option" was also taken care.

Today the follwing pop-up window appeared-User uploaded file

I had setup jabber account according to facebook help instructions which you have suggested in previous reply. can you figure out something from this image?

Mar 19, 2013 12:17 PM in response to Ajith R

HI,

The Pic you post has tow option that you could use.

The Show Certificate will show you the item that is in the Keychain that is being used and may give some clues as to why it is not accepted (a common reason is the date has run out).

The second option is to press the Continue Button.

This will normally accept the connection but without changing the certificate.

User uploaded file
7:17 PM Tuesday; March 19, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 15, 2013 11:57 AM in response to DabboD

Hi,

@Apple - please wake up and fix this!

These boards are hosted on Apple Servers and Apple do employ the "Hosts" as the moderators are called.

However as a database of what needs to be "fixed" the engineers do not look at the boards for info.

The boards (Apple Support Communities) are set up for users to help each other.

Some Apple employees do post but have to ask permission and posts in their own time. They only posts the same way regular users of the boards do. They do not post info on the "latest and greatest improvements". The evidence suggests they don't even work in thise departments.

Therefore posting:-

@Apple - please wake up and fix this!

Is not likely to achieve anything.

User uploaded file
7:57 PM Monday; April 15, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 15, 2013 12:42 PM in response to DabboD

Hi,

There is the generic feedback page http://www.apple.com/feedback/

There is the iChat page

I tend to use the second.

1) Messages is iChat under the Hood. (it is listed as iChat in Crash Logs and still uses the iChat .plists)

2) Messages grew out of iChat so these engineers will know more about sending the info on if there is in fact a new team.

The page is notorious for have the OS and the iChat version drop downs out of step.

It lists Mountain Lion but does not list iChat 6 onwards

I add the info on the free text field.

This particular thread is only a month old although I do know there have been other posts about this before.

It seems to be something that comes up now and then which could be Facebook making changes to their server or something at Apple.

If it is the Security Certificate from Facebook then updating that is not an Apple issue.

You would need to look in your Keychain > My Certificates to see out of date ones.

User uploaded file
8:42 PM Monday; April 15, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 15, 2013 1:50 PM in response to DabboD

Hi

I don't use Facebook so I cannot say precisely.

The pic posted on the 19th March early in this Thread seems to suggest it should.

I also looked in Certificates (rather than limiting them to "my Certificates") where i have seen some other Certificates as most of My Certificates seem to be related to Apple.

User uploaded file
9:50 PM Monday; April 15, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages on OS X 10.8.2 fails to connect chat.facebook.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.