Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Debug Log Question

I recently noticed that the debug.log kept updating and showing up on my computer. I have no idea what some of it means, can someone help me?

I don't want to post it here incase it has any private information that shouldn't be posted on here, but I will post some of it. It has something to do with Akamai, but that only started once I opened my internet browser. Also it says something about "sendCommon", "Sent first few bytes to host (Akamai)", and that the "resolved IP" is some random IP that is not my own. I don't know what a resolved IP is and if it is supposed to be different than my own, or what they are sending to Akamai, or if that is something to be alarmed about. I don't know if this is anything serious since it keeps referencing Akamai, but the resolved IP thing has my worried.

My computer was on all night, and when I woke up it still had something about an RSProxyType.cpp and then something about "Proxy Type DIRECT". I am concerned about this part about the proxy because I don't really know what that means, and it kept updating in my debug log even when I was asleep and my computer wasn't doing anything except running Twitter and Skype.

If someone knows anything about this type of issue, I would really appreciate if you could help. If you have any questions let me know

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:12 AM

that is not an issue. when computer "does nothing" actually there are a lot of running processes, output of some of them you can see in mentioned log file.

terms you are talking about are normal for internet browsing:

Akamai for example.

everything is ok.

4 replies

Mar 14, 2013 9:46 AM in response to wketch22

I ended up deciding to uninstall Akamai. Hopefully this will make these entries in the log go away. As soon as I uninstalled it, the debug.log went away completely.

From what I have read Akamai isn't necessary, so I think I will be fine without it (at least for now) until the logs definitely stop showing up.

Thanks again for clarifying that for me dmdimon.

Mar 14, 2013 12:05 PM in response to wketch22

wketch22 wrote:

I ended up deciding to uninstall Akamai. Hopefully this will make these entries in the log go away. As soon as I uninstalled it, the debug.log went away completely.

its up to you - to use it or not. But keep in mind that basically Akamai speeds up browsing (cant say how much, it depends on lot of parameters)

Debug Log Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.