Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Bonjour requires a global hostname

Advertising a service globally using Bonjour requires a global hostname.

Ok, I have had problems and I saw the posting about Airport Utility 5.6

That solved one problem for allowing me to updating my IPv4 DNS servers

But, 5.6 will not permit me to enter my IPv6 DNS servers

And Time Capsule will not permit to save my IPv6 DNS servers

SO HOW DO I SOLVE THIS Bonjour thing with global hostname.

It sounds like it needs a Variable Name. So, how do I create one?? PLEASE

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, i7 4 gigs RAM

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 6:39 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2013 12:16 AM in response to Robert DeSaeger

You can use both v5 and v6 utilities.. I have been doing it at the same time to see if anything breaks and it is kinda fun.. so far nothing broke.. but I do warn people not to..

There is a lot of stuff about ipv6 change in the latest firmware being a problem.. have you read through all of that.

See

IPv6 fix for 7.6.3 Apple’s take.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5656

ars take on it.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/airport-extreme-update-breaks-ipv6-tunnels- but-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Strangely your same issue just popped up on another thread..

I wonder if this helps.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=874886

I have to say the issue is a bit out of my league.. so I am only posting what I found.

Mar 28, 2013 4:08 PM in response to LaPastenague

Catch 22: I just found this thread while trying to solve my own Global Host Name problem. I'm getting the GHN/Bonjour prompt when I try to assign static DHCP reservations to two Airport Express units on my network, which ARE running Airport Utility firmware v7.6.3. Unfortunately, my main Time Capsule router only can run firmware v7.6.1.

Why? Before this latest Global Host Name issue came up, I had to install a new Netgear GS724Tv3 gigabit switch on my network. After upgrading all my Airports and Time Capsules to the v7.6.3 firmware updatea a few weeks ago, my old Netgear GS724Tv2 switch died (power supply wouldn't power back on). So, I bought Netgear's newest v3 model as a replacement switch.

Unfortunately, I then learned that Apple's v7.6.3 firmware update may have a nasty bug making it incompatible with the new Netgear switch (or maybe new firmware in the new Netgear switch is the bug). No matter: every time I connect the v7.6.3 Time Capsule to the Ethernet network via the new switch, the Ethernet network dies and devices cannot see one another. Stepping back my main Time Capsule router to firmware v7.6.1 resolves the problem, but apparently, if I correctly understand this thread, the v7.6.1 firmware now may be a factor in preventing the establishment of a Global Host Name, which I'm being prompted to do when attempting to set up static IP addresses for the other Apple devices.

Now maybe I can sidestep this issue if I drop back to firmware v7.6.1 on all my Apple Airport gear (everything was upgraded to v7.6.3 all at once, and after encountering the networking bug, I only downgraded the main router, since this action immediately solved by Ethernet problem. I stopped the troublshooting — until now). Alternatively, I could replace the two other Netgear switches on our network plus two new Time Capsule's and three Airport Express units and hope those actions solve my networking problems.

What a mess. None of these devices are more than four-years-old.

Catch 22 author Joseph Heller needs to write a new novel – about the dysfunctional madness of computers.

Mar 28, 2013 7:33 PM in response to geopix

Hmmmm.. interesting..

I would definitely take the express units back to 7.6.1

You can just plug them by ethernet into a computer that is directly connected to the network.. modem perhaps if you have issues via the TC.

IPv6 which we will soon all have to deal with is going to be a nightmare.. My understand was that an unmanaged switch should have no issues.. What you have is a smart or managed switch which has to be ipv6 compliant and has to talk ipv6 the same as the TC.. I think I would be inclined to use unmanaged switches until someone sorts out their firmware.

This will keep happening until ipv6 really does become standard.. I am getting too old to go through the dog training hoops again.. learning new tricks.. man.. why??

Good luck with it all.

Time Capsule Bonjour requires a global hostname

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.