Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older Motion support files cleanup/saving

I was just doing some spring cleaning to free up HD space and realized I had 8.3GB of stuff in /Library/Application Support/Final Cut Studio/Motion/

I had an older version of FCP/Motion installed for a job a few years back and assume that this is remnants of the old Studio install. I no longer have it installed, and have since bought FCPX and Motion 5. As far as I can tell, all of Motion 5's support files (templates and such) are installed within the .app package itself, and some have duplicate names as what's in this Studio folder, so I assume that older versions shipped with wayyy more templates/sample media and stuff than the new version since 5 is only just under 2GB in total.

I guess my question is, have people found it worth it to keep this old support folder for use with Motion 5? Or is it all cheesy/non-HD stuff that's all dated and should be tossed out? I read a few threads that said you can open the old templates in Motion 5, and was able to with one (a second one beachballed).

If I do want to keep the old /Motion/Templates/ folder (1.61GB), is that dependent on all the stuff in the /Motion/Library/ folder (6.4GB) as well? I assume that the Sample Media folder is just stock video/textures, though again I can't tell if that's tied to the old templates as well.

I just tried to drag the whole thing to an external drive to save space but not jettison the whole thing in case there was some useful stuff in there, but got a "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." So not even sure if I can trash it or copy it if I wanted to, maybe I have to do that via Terminal and sudo?

Personally I am glad they're starting to wrap all this stuff up direclty in the .app package contents so it's easier to manage this kind of thing. 🙂

Here's a list of the directories:

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Content.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Previews.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Shape%20Styles.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Replicators.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Particle%20Emitters.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/PDF.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Behaviors.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Text%20Styles.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Gradients.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/Shapes.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Libra ry/themes

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Seasons.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Curves.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Satin.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Light.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Fire.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Brush%20Strokes.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Travel.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Slider.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Sketch.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Water.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/3D%20Text%20Projects.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Basic%20White.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Blocks.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Weave.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Glass%20Panes.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Templ ates.localized/Tech%20Blue.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Sampl e%20Media/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Sampl e%20Media/National%20Geographic.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Sampl e%20Media/Getty%20Images.localized/

file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/Final%20Cut%20Studio/Motion/Sampl e%20Media/Graphics.localized/

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB/750GB @7200rpm/hi-res AG

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 6:44 AM

To bring legacy Motion templates into Motion 5, you have to save them out in legacy Motion to some destination you chose. Then import them into Motion 5, allowing Motion 5 to update them. Some elements won't come across 100%.

As for removing legacy Motion, get the free "FCS Remover" from Digital Rebellion to remove any or all of the Final Cut Studio apps (or current verions apps). Don't dig around removing stuff yourself. There are other elements of Motion 5 besides the app itself. Beside, FCS remover is much faster and much easier.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2013 6:44 AM in response to fastasleep

To bring legacy Motion templates into Motion 5, you have to save them out in legacy Motion to some destination you chose. Then import them into Motion 5, allowing Motion 5 to update them. Some elements won't come across 100%.

As for removing legacy Motion, get the free "FCS Remover" from Digital Rebellion to remove any or all of the Final Cut Studio apps (or current verions apps). Don't dig around removing stuff yourself. There are other elements of Motion 5 besides the app itself. Beside, FCS remover is much faster and much easier.

Mar 16, 2013 3:26 PM in response to BenB

I don't have the old Motion anymore, just the support files. I'll check out FCS remover.

Are these worth keeping anyway? Wondering if they just brought over or updated the good ones in Motion 5 and trashed a bunch of dated/crappy templates, in which case I should just nuke it all.

Maybe save the textures and stock stuff though as that might come in handy...

Older Motion support files cleanup/saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.