Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone done thermal paste reapplication?

Basically the title says it all 😉 Has anyone cracked open their MacBook and replaced the thermal paste, and if so, how has it affected heat? The ones I tried out in the store seemed to be reasonable temperatures, much less hot than some of the MBPs there, but still not really "cool." But it would be nice to know if thermal paste will help.

Mac mini 1.42GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 20, 2006 12:13 PM

7 replies

May 20, 2006 12:26 PM in response to David Ceddia

Yeah, I'm interested in this as well. I will be getting my MacBook in a week or two and if it gets too toasty I will put some Arctic Silver 5 on it. In the meantime, check out the Accessories section of my MacBook webpage for some links to the MacBook Pro's thermal paste issues. The pictures are pretty nasty, especially if you've applied thermal paste before and have read and followed the Arctic Silver application instructions:

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php#Accessories

May 20, 2006 12:32 PM in response to kaidomac

Indeed, the applications looks awful. I've done my own thermal paste application on desktop systems I've built (it sure is a pain getting that stuff laid on right) and this looks really bad, like the exact opposite of what they say to do :/

Thanks for that web page btw, it's a great centralized resource for lots of useful stuff (RAM upgrades, HD upgrades, accessories, videos, etc).

May 20, 2006 12:39 PM in response to David Ceddia

This is not a real reply to your question but:

Using the integrated graphics makes for a cooler machine. Fast separate GPUs are hot

The plastic case retains more heat than the aluminum although the user will not feel it as much.

The two facts should sort of cancel each other out, plastic case and intel chipset.

The MacBook is also manufactured differently and by a different factory than the MBP.

May 20, 2006 12:47 PM in response to David Ceddia

You're welcome! The only thing I don't like about it is the Google ad at the top. I added it in an effort to combat my increasing server costs. I went from $35/year to $300/year due to increased bandwidth from all the Mac fans; I'm hoping the ads will cover the site's monthly expenses 🙂

When I get my MacBook, I will post a review as well as an "Introduction to the MacBook" page and also photos if I do the thermal paste application.

May 20, 2006 2:37 PM in response to kaidomac

kaidomac, if you're making money from your Google ads, according to the Terms of Use of the Discussions, you need to make note of it in your post:

If any portion of your Submission, including any posted URL, results in any accrual of compensation or benefit to you, then you must note this in your post by stating, "I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link."

-Doug

Anyone done thermal paste reapplication?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.