Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 6.0.3 .jnlp autostart does not work

Autostarting .jnlp files via Safari 6.0.3 doesn't work (6.0.2 does autostart .jnlp files), file gets downloaded but no autostart (Enable Webstart is however enabled in Java prefs).

Using Chrome does autostart these .jnlp files.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 12:36 AM

7 replies

Mar 15, 2013 8:43 AM in response to yabbanoname

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website could allow a Java Web Start application to be launched automatically even if the Java plug-in is disabled

Description: Java Web Start applications would run even if the Java plug-in was disabled. This issue was addressed by removing JNLP files from the CoreTypes safe file type list, so the Web Start application will not be run unless the user opens it in the Downloads directory.

About the security content of OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 and Security Update 2013-001

Mar 15, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

This has just cost me about two hours playing with Java. I get security issues and understand trade-offs, but Safari does not prompt to download the file, the link is just to a javascript that executies and the etrade platform won't load. I can do it in Chrome.

I had just (finally) got rid of Firefox and Chrome so I could go completely Safari last week... very disappointing.

What is the recommended workaround here???

safari 6.0.3 .jnlp autostart does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.