Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"unused node is not erased"

Ok so i have a mbp 8,2 with lion which is about one and a half years old and I dont have applecare.

I went overseas for a year (without my mbp) and when i came back it was running perfectly ok for about 30 mins until it installed some updates.

Then the computer turned into a snail, super slow boot up, beach balling all over the place and it has been getting progressively slower.

I booted it from the recovery drive and performed a disk varify/repair which was full of red "unused node is not erased" (node number blah blah blah there were lots)

I am currently of the belief that my hard drive is failing... i cannot update it, downgrade it as it is too slow... even backing up is an issue although i am having some luck boooting from a usb clone.

Idealily i would like to do a clean install of mountain lion but i dont want to lose my data as the drive definetly needs to be reformated.

Has anyone had similair problems??? im not sure if it is just a currupted HD or its ****** and I need a new one. What are the odds of apple covering it outside of waranty??

Peace

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 1:44 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2013 12:55 AM in response to gonecrazy

SO it will not even let me reformat the drive as it says that is it failing.

Now in disk utility it says "Hardware problem that cannot be repaired" save all data blah blah

The drive is a TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF

Does this mean the drive is completely %&^%$## or could disk warrior or something help??

Anyone with similar issue?? how did apple deal with it?? I dont have applecare which *****

Mar 26, 2014 7:21 AM in response to gonecrazy

I know this is several months old but I'd like to add something for anyone who has this problem in the future. I would have to say your drive is beyond repair. Had something similar happen to me but with an 'invalid sibiling link' on my HD. Disk repair would not find it but I found a terminal command that would. YES, it did fix it, but the invalid sibiling error turned into an 'unused node is not erased' error. So, my guess was there was something terminal with the HD and no matter what error I fixed, another would pop up. Save yourself some grief and just install a new HD. I know it's a pain, but less pain then fixing errors over and over and over. Sorry that's not much help but, there you go.

Oct 21, 2016 11:38 AM in response to gonecrazy

This very late to this discussion but as I have the "Unused node is not erased (node = 1362)" on an external drive with more than ten TB functioning well I think the brains who answer here will tell me that the drive is a problem and cannot be repaired? Do you think that to be correct? Google finds this discussion quickly so I thought adding to it would be better than starting again.

"unused node is not erased"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.