Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fake links in Safari

As I surf the net any page I stop on had Hyper links on random words that are link to take some ******** survey and win an IPad. the link pop up all over every page. I had this issue with Firefox and reset it and it was fixed, not the same with Safari. Here is a screen caputre on the Apple support page. As you can see the word 'Detail' down the bottom left is a link and if you rollover and hold this ad pops up or if you click you are take to a survey.

Any ideas?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:14 AM

This can be a Safari extension adding the links - Turn them off in Safari-Preferences-Extensions & try some more web pages. If that helps, and you've more than one extension, re-enable them one at a time to find out which one's doing this, or post the names here & it might be obvious.

6 replies

Mar 16, 2013 2:50 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hey 🙂

I had the same problem today.

I noticed that something was wrong when the BBC and UK Border Force were putting 50 Years Old Dating and loose weight ad's on their websites. I thought they must be desesperate for money if they were doing that. Then I realised that even Yahoo! had the same ad's so it must be a virus or something.

Anyway I disabled the extentions in preferences and is all sorted, but I'm still pretty worried that some programs might still be installed doing nasty stuff to my mac.

Sophos Antivirus didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for your advise.

Mar 19, 2013 6:56 AM in response to maxval

>>I'm still pretty worried that some programs might still be installed...

If all you had done was open a Safari Extension (.safariextz) file - they have limited access & removing it should be enough. Sometimes, they're bundled with & installed alongside other software, in which case that installer could have added something else.

maxval & JR Photo - did you see what extensions caused this for you ?

Fake links in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.