2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 9:32 AM by xabikbus
xabikbus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Apple links to Microsoft's system requirements, which this system more than meets...yet they have opted to not support these systems. It seems that Apple has decided to only support systems that do have Core i- processors when it comes to Windows 8, and those of us who still have perfectly viable C2D systems are being left out in the cold.

This chart is from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

Mac modelWindows 8, 64-bitWindows 7, 64-bitWindows 7, 32-bitWindows Vista, 64-bitWindows Vista, 32-bitWindows XP, 32-bit
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)554---
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)554---
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)-44444

That same bulletin links to Microsoft's system requirements:

Windows 8 system requirements

If you want to run Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes:
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Now, I've installed and have been running Windows 8 for some time now, but the lack of keyboard/trackpad drivers has been an occasional frustration. It would be nice to have official support, but I'm starting to think there's no love for us...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13" Mid-2010, 2.4 GHz C2D, 8GB
  • 737FCOM Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

So you mean, you don't have any BSOD and crashes on Windows 8? I installed W8 PRO on my 13'' MBP about 2 month ago via CD-ROM and Windows always crashed after a while giving a blue screen. Something changed from that time?

• xabikbus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

That is correct. I initially was getting the frown of doom, but after reinstalling the only other problem that I had was the keyboard not responding after an update preventing me from logging in.

To be honest, I don't quite remember what solved the issue, but I belive it was going into Device Manager and disabling the Generic PnP Monitor that fixed things. After installing updates and disabling the Generic PnP monitor I reinstalled the Boot Camp drivers, I then downloaded & installed the NVIDIA's driver for the GeForce 320M.

I've been running this way for a while now and no problems since. It just would be nice to not have to kludge things.