Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact forum moderator

Could a moderator contact me via e-mail regarding a profile matter?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:09 AM

40 replies

Apr 6, 2013 3:36 AM in response to stedman1

In my case, Community Hosts answered the following

This does not appear to be a privacy issue with your existing username.

We will not be submitting a name change request for you.

I replied that, although I first didn't mentioned it, the request also implies for me a privacy issue.

They never replied back.

Why should I create another account to get rid of the username?

Like many, more and more I tend to think Apple's service is not what it used to be.

Apr 7, 2013 8:28 AM in response to iamsudo

Most Internet forums such as this do not permit changes to a user name / screen name once an account is created. Do you know of one that does?

iamsudo seems perfectly OK to me anyway, don't know why anyone wouldn't like it.

Apple has the resources either to rebuild ASC as an Apple product

For all we know they will, or are already doing so, but they're not telling anyone and are not about to.

Apr 7, 2013 9:05 AM in response to iamsudo

To my knowledge, the Hosts absolutely will not consider name changes in anything other than dire circumstances, so your request is unlikely to be heard.

I understand your motivation to do so, but for what it's worth I think it is a very bad idea to choose an ASC user name identical to, or even resembling your Apple ID, for a couple of reasons: First, an Apple ID is used so extensively that you should take all reasonable precautions to protect it from fraudulent use. For example, you can purchase thousands of dollars worth of Apple equipment with nothing more than your Apple ID and password. It can also be used to access any and all information accessible by iCloud including whatever personal information you may have, the locations of the Apple devices you are using, and other purposes we may not even know about yet.

Second, you can change your Apple ID as necessary to cope with future changes in your email address, or to thwart such fraudulent attempts to use it. Your ASC name and profile will follow these changes.

I know this is not the answer you are seeking, but I hope it helps you understand the complex factors involved in addressing what appears to be a simple and reasonable request.

Contact forum moderator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.