Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow logons via Windows 7 under boot camp

We are running boot camp with Windows 7 on the Macs in our school which is connected to Active Directory. When users try to logon under the Windows side it can take 50 minutes to logon. All Macs present this problem.

We are running a brand new HP physical network @ 10GB (1GB to the desktop), and all servers are virtualised on high-powered servers.

The only way we've fixed this is to use USB network cards, but this is a costly exercise with about 50 Macs in the school. Has anybody got any ideas about this? I assume it's some sort of NIC driver/hardware issue.

Thanks,

Rick.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Windows 7

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 4:24 AM

8 replies

Mar 15, 2013 8:08 AM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007.... your comment makes absolutely no sense and doesn't help answer the question. If you didn't know, bootcamp ( Multibooting ) IS RUNNING WINDOWS 7 NATIVELY. Bootcamp isnt't a virtual environment. You are confusing VMware / Parallels for bootcamp.

Here's some education on the subject for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_%28software%29

The OP made it very clear that they are booting windows 7 natively.

In response to the original question though, unfortunately unless there is another driver available for the nic , there isn't much you can do. If there is however another compatible driver, you could try to manually install it through device manager. What exact models are the macs ? ( CPU / Make / Model numbers ). Also, there may be some settings on the nic itself that you can access for power saving features / performance modes. Try disabling any saving features if so and give it another shot at logging in.

Can you open device manager and give me the hardware identification? Its a line that shows VEN_XXXX DEV_XXXX. Ill look around for an alternative driver but more information for the Network Card is needed first.

Another thing. Are your network logons running through a windows active directory or a novell / linux active directory?

Mar 15, 2013 8:37 AM in response to Csound1

All bootcamp does is repartition the hard drive and bless the partition ( Marking it active ) for a native install, and sets first boot to CD. This has nothing to do with the actual OS once its installed ( aside from the boot record types which mean nothing as its a pre-enviornment vartiable only ). Bootcamp is just an easier method of splitting your disk and setting up the windows install without wiping out your osx partition. It also gives you a driver install package for windows. This Equals a full blown dual boot native install. Windows can use EFI as well. I actually use Refit as my boot manager as i quad boot. There is no difference from running ONLY windows ( Or Linux ) VS Multi-booting windows /linux/ Mac from a pure hardware perspective. Nothing is virtualized and no resources are shared unless you want to share the Mac partition for accessibility purposes to your files.

The OP stated that the network logins works properly when using a different network card plugged into the same mac while running windows. The issue is likely with the driver windows is using from bootcamp. As you can see, My Macbook Pro i7 / 16Gb is using a Broadcom Net Extreme network card. The OP can very likely go to the manufacturers website for the card and try a different driver ( non-apple ).

Brentford School for Girls - Can you take a look at my attached screenshot and tell me what your network card says ? If you see mine, I have many options within my Nic that could potentially affect the network login speeds. Duplex mode, priority, flow control, priority, are just a few that could toss a wrench in the gears. Also disable any power saving features you can. As far as getting another driver goes. take a look at the details tab and the hardware ID's. This is what I'd need to start checking for an alternative driver 🙂

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2013 8:44 AM in response to pyraxiate

pyraxiate wrote:

All bootcamp does is repartition the hard drive and bless the partition ( Marking it active ) for a native install, and sets first boot to CD. This has nothing to do with the actual OS once its installed

Yes, that is no secret, why are you repeating the obvious?

You can install Windows with or without Boot Camp.

Mar 15, 2013 9:20 AM in response to Csound1

Ok Csound1. You obviously missed the entire point. I'll elaborate it so you can understand.

Post 1 = OP asking for help. BOOTCAMPED ( Dual booted ) Running windows 7 with an active directory problem.

Post 2 = Shootist007 Telling OP they should have bought a windows computer, and that they can try installing WITHOUT BOOTCAMP as a native install which would in essence produce the SAME RESULTS. Shootist007 must have been thinking OP Was using VMware or something i can only assume. ...... Not helping with the OPS problems

Post 3 = Me telling Shootist007 that bootcamp IS as native install as a windows only install as far as the OPS problem goes and OFFERING OP some form of help!

Post 4 = you interjecting on Shootist007's behalf.....again which makes no sense in helping the OP with the issue.

Post 5 = me going into more detail and explaining in depth why the OPS problem wont be fixed by reinstalling with a WINDOWS ONLY Install... and again offering the OP MORE help in narrowing down their problem.

Post 6 = you again interjecting and not offering any help to answer the question and being a smart$$$. All I was doing was going in depth to explain why a bootcamped partition vs a windows off the disc only install produces the EXACT same results in the end, due to Shootist007 not completely understanding ( unless again he was thinking the OP was running in a virtual enviornment in which my first post should have cleared that up for him )

Now we have a ton of clutter in the thread. I request a MOD please clean up all the non-sense ( including mine ) and please post my help to the OP as im sure it helps them ( screen shot too needs to stay as it points the OP where to look for info so I can further help )

Mar 18, 2013 1:30 AM in response to pyraxiate

Thanks Pyraxiate. OK, my hardware IDs are:

• PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_436A&SUBSYS_00BA11AB&REV_13
  • PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_436A&SUBSYS_00BA11AB
  • PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_436A&CC_020000
  • PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_436A&CC_0200

I will try experimenting with the various settings, although I did do a bit of this before to no avail, but will give it a more thorough shot.

Thanks,

Rick.

Slow logons via Windows 7 under boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.