Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.8.3 fails to load after reboot

I am having some serious troubles with my MacBook 13.3 Oct 2009 edition after updating to the latest version 10.8.3.

1: it would boot to a blackscreen and with a flashing cursor on the top left hand corner and sit there and nothing else happens.

2: rebooted Mac a few times and each time after that comes up with the following error message:

"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

This is happening STRAIGHT after the update, I've never had such a problem like this with any of the previous updates. Something seriously went wrong with the update for this happen..

I need some help before going to Apple store (which I have already booked anyways - just incase).

I am sort of familar with the OS and Mac's but not that great with fixing errors.

Any help would be most appreciated..

Thanks..

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:05 AM

18 replies

Mar 15, 2013 2:23 PM in response to petermac87

nope nothing .. just rebooted the Mac now and without even touching anything still asking me to "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" Tried to hold down the SHIFT key.. after startup, screen goes grey, then black and comes up with the same error message as above. 😟 How on earth does one simple s/w update screw up a computer this badly .

Mar 15, 2013 2:27 PM in response to zyberdez

zyberdez wrote:

nope nothing .. just rebooted the Mac now and without even touching anything still asking me to "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" Tried to hold down the SHIFT key.. after startup, screen goes grey, then black and comes up with the same error message as above. 😟 How on earth does one simple s/w update screw up a computer this badly .

Have you ever installed Windows in the past on either Bootcamp or in a Virtual environment? Sure does sound like it's trying to boot up in Windows, as Linc said.

Mar 15, 2013 3:07 PM in response to zyberdez

zyberdez wrote:

All I did was update to the latest version, rebooted and now this... Harddrive was working perfectly prior to the update. There was never any symptoms of the hard drive failing. I believe I did make a backup.. how old it is.. I don't know right now as this Mac is the only one that can access the time machine..

Straight to the nearest Apple Store, I would suggest. Drives can fail at any time, with no symptoms whatsoever. They can also be triggered by system updates, if they are on the verge of failing anyway (the straw that breaks the camels back). If it is your drive, then a new one is not that expensive and you can migrate your data from Time Machine to your new drive.

Cheers

Pete

Mar 15, 2013 3:21 PM in response to petermac87

Already booked in at the Apple store today.. (I suspected HD failure) needed to explore other options to see if there was anything else that will resolve the problem. But 😟 to no avail. Oh well, been a while since I've had a HD failure.. but none after a system update.. which I thought rather strange - and so happens to be a pure coinsidence that the HD would fail straight after a system update. Dunno if they would replace it at a lower cost or no cost as its (could have been) Apple's fault..

Will have to wait and see what happens after speaking to the Genius Bar

OS X 10.8.3 fails to load after reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.