Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot connect to smtp.me.com using Mac OS 10.6

While using Apple Mail 4.6 on Mac OS 10.6.8, the connecting to smtp.me.com can't be established..

I already tried to resert the account, but the problem remains.

There's any alternative to smtp.me.com on 10.6.8 ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Ricardo

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:39 AM

11 replies

Mar 19, 2013 12:52 AM in response to Rich Wagner

smtp.me.com is the old MobileMe server and is not correct for iCloud. Its smtp.mail.me.com, and SSL is required. On Lion and iOS you should sign out in Settings>iCloud and sign back in again, enabling Mail and any other data types in the checklist.

On Snow Leopard you should delete the account in Mail and set it up again following the instructions here:

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Snow Leopard or Leopard

Mar 19, 2013 3:50 AM in response to rmcarvalho

Did you walk through the process in the page I linked to above? I did this myself and it worked OK so I can't say what the problem you're having is - if you can receive then it's presumably not the password. You aren't trying to send with something other than the iCloud address as the 'From' address? - you can't do that. You do have SSL enabled?

Mar 19, 2013 7:04 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

And I am also still having the exact same problem. I have made a new (complex) password, and that password works fine via the web interface and the password allows me to receive mail via IMAP on all devices. I can receive mail on Snow Leopard, but I cannot send via SMTP, regardless of whether I use smtp.me.com, smtp.mail.me.com, or smpt.icloud.com, using SSL, etc., etc. I've tried every combination possible. If I try to create a new mail account for a me.com account, it fails. All of this had been working fine for years - no changes - and something just changed, but not on my end. Under the System Settings on 10.6.8, if I click on MobleMe (yup, it's still there), I continue to get the following, even after signing out/in/out/in:

User uploaded file

Something is screwed up at Apple, and this is getting old.

--Rich

Mar 19, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Rich Wagner

Signing in to MobileMe is irrelevant - MobileMe is closed and the preference pane will do nothing.

The correct SMTP server for iCloud is smtp.mail.me.com and SSL is required. You could try working through this illustrated instruction page on setting up Mail for iCloud:

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Snow Leopard or Leopard

although it apparently hasn't worked for the OP (however it worked for me on Snow Leopard and earlier today I was able to send a test message without problems). This may not be the issue but you should be aware that you can't send using anything other than your iCloud address as the 'From' address - attempting that will bring up an error.

I cannot connect to smtp.me.com using Mac OS 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.