Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can other digital equipment too close to iMac cause damage?

I was curious if anyone knew if other digital equipment (like a cable box) can cause damage to the iMac graphics or any type of damage for that matter? I ask because I have a cable box right above my Mac. I had problems with my last iMac where the graphics went out, then eventually the whole computer just went out on me. I have a new iMac now and this morning I went to log in and the graphics began to act funny, everywhere I dragged my cursor on the screen left a trail if grey behinnd it,almost looked as if I were playin the "draw something" game. I re-strated my comp, and so far it's working fine now. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

iMac, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 10:07 AM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2013 12:02 PM in response to SCWEEZ

I don't see how a cable box or any other digital equipment could cause any problems with your Mac unless the box is causing some sort of power flucuations. I suspect it was just an temporarily anomaly, though if you're having recurrent such problems, your AC power may be iffy and a power conditioner such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60

may be a worthwhile investment.

Regards.

Can other digital equipment too close to iMac cause damage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.