Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.3 Colorsync profile goes wonky on dedicated GPU on MBP

I just upgraded my 2011 MacBook Pro 17" to 10.8.3 (using the Combo updater), and am having a fairly major Colorsync issue.

I've got automatic GPU switching enabled, but whenever the system is running on the dedicated GPU, the screen color is WAY out of whack (extremely cool). The Colorsync profile isn't getting changed; if I look in the pref pane or ColorSync Utility, the correct profile still shows as selected, and if I select a different one, the color does change slighty, but is still badly screwed up.

I'm running a profile generated by a hardware calibrator that has worked fine through previous versions of 10.8 and 10.7, but the probem exists regardless of the profile I use (including the built-in default). I tried running the "repair" in ColorSync Utility, which did fix some minor errors but the problem remains. I also tried deleting the ColorSync cache in the tmp folder, but that also didn't do anything noticeable.

If I try to do a calibration with the "Advanced" mode manual calibration in the pref pane while running with the GPU it's so far out of whack that the resulting calibration is still somewhat cool--the sliders don't go far enough to fully correct the white point--and regardless, as soon as it switches back to the intergrated GPU the same profile is so wacky that the screen is almost unusable.

What's going on here? Surely this is something wrong with my system--a bug that egregious couldn't have gotten through three months of developer betas, could it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Sandy Bridge 17", OWC SSD+HD

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 3:00 AM

I ended up deleting the ColorSync user cache (Onyx can do this, or use Termina) and user prefs, and then rebooting, which fixed it. Presumably it had something to do with a corrupt cache.

11 replies

Nov 26, 2014 7:26 PM in response to Marc Marshall

Hi - Same issue for me. Just appeared for the first time this week, coinciding with Yosemite 10.10.1. (was not an issue with 10.10.0). This is on a MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2010 with Intel HD Graphics built in, and NVidia GeForce GT330M graphics in PCI.

First noticed a very blue cast in the menu bar, Finder windows (and any other white space on the screen), when using Photoshop, and intermittently when running Firefox or Safari. I had the same reaction - did something happen to the color profile of my display? When I launched System Settings (making it the front-most application and sending FIrefox and Photoshop to the background), the screen suddenly switched back to the normal color gamut.

Anyway, long story short, the GPU seems to be my issue. In Energy Saver, I have a check-mark in the box for Automatic Graphics Switching. Un-checking it makes the screen go to the blue cast.

I just ran Onyx about 3 days ago and cleared all the caches etc. But now, I will do it again, and will be back to report on whether or not this issue recurs.

PS - This is not the first time for issues with this model of MacBook Pro. See Mavericks Finder window- and shadow-rendering issues-Screenshots - I had some serious issues with the first few revs of Mavericks that eventually want away. Apple even went through the expense of replacing my logicboard at no charge to me, even thought my Applecare had expired.

Mar 22, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Marc Marshall

I just want to chime in on this thread because I've been battling this issue for months.

The Onyx colorsync cache delete option worked for me. It appears that once you restart (which is part of the process) that it just rebuilds the cache on reboot and it works properly after that.

I use gfxcardstatus to switch between cards and intermittently I'd get the blue tint and it would often stay that way indefinitely. I've run numerous fixes to stop it, but it always comes back. I even had the logic board replaced and it still was happening, so it's probably software. I've so far only had this running for a few minutes, but when I switch cards to discrete there is a brief "blink" I guess and then it is basically the same color as the integrated, previously it had been acting consistently blue tinted, even after a PRAM reset.

So, like I said I've defeated this problem only to have it show back up before, so I'll say that I've bookmarked this page and intend to follow up if the issue returns. Right now it's March 22, 2015. I can't promise I'll post again if it doesn't work permanently, but I intend to. I've had the logic board replaced and this has continued to happen, Apple's Geniuses don't have a SOP for it, so this is a software issue and the Onyx Colorsync Cache fix looks like it's probably the solution some of us have been looking for. If you want to mess around in Terminal that might work, I don't really know.

Computer:

Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15 Unibody (non-retina), 2.7 Ghz i7, 512 GB Apple SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M w/ 1 GB VRam upgrade, 8GB RAM 1680x1050 screen. OS X 10.8.5

google helper: macbook pro mid 2012 blue tint graphics switching integrated discrete

Sep 9, 2015 6:59 PM in response to elliots11

Apple acknowledged this hardware issue and is repairing it free until February 2016 under a special extended warranty.

check out: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues

Here is some info from the link.

Apple has determined that a small percentage of MacBook Pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. These MacBook Pro systems were sold between February 2011 and December 2013.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair affected MacBook Pro systems, free of charge. See below for details on affected models and service options.

Symptoms

An affected MacBook Pro may display one or more of the following symptoms:

• Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly

Products affected

• 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina models manufactured from Mid 2012 to Early 2013
Affected Models
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)

Note: If your MacBook Pro is not experiencing any of these symptoms and is not one of the products affected, you do not need to contact Apple.

Repair Process

Please choose one of the options below for service. Your MacBook Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and is otherwise in working order.Note: If your MacBook Pro has any damage, which prevents the repair, such as a cracked screen, that issue will need to be resolved during service. You will be notified about any additional repair charges that are required.Please back up your data before your MacBook Pro is serviced. Learn more about backup options.

Carry-in

• Bring your MacBook Pro to a participating provider - Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  • A technician will run a diagnostic test on the MacBook Pro to verify eligibility.
  • Repair turn around time will vary based upon parts and technician availability.
  • You will be notified when your MacBook Pro is ready for pickup.

Mail-in

• Call Apple and request a postage paid box to send your MacBook Pro to the local Apple Repair Center.
  • A technician will run a diagnostic test on your MacBook Pro to verify eligibility.
  • The repair process takes approximately 5-7 days from the time your MacBook Pro is received at the repair center until it is returned to you.
  • After it has been serviced, your MacBook Pro will be returned to you by mail.

Additional Information

Apple is contacting customers who paid for a repair either though Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to arrange reimbursement. If you have not been contacted, but paid for a repair that you think was due to this issue, please contact Apple.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the MacBook Pro.

The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until February 27, 2016 or three years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

Information as of 2015-02-27

Sep 15, 2015 12:42 AM in response to elliots11

It worked for me as well, thanks a lot, I was freaking out, as a photographer having to be very detailed in color control, it was not a good issue.

The weird thing for me was: open photoshop, fine, work the picture in camera raw, fine, then open the file to edit in photoshop, and bam!, blue layer...

Anyway I'm a fan of Onyx since long time, and it's not the first time they solve a problem for me. Great app, support them!

10.8.3 Colorsync profile goes wonky on dedicated GPU on MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.